Help with knee issues!

Hey! I’m just wondering if anyone can give me advise on strengthening my ducks knees. One of my runner duck drakes will get a swollen knee easily. It’s not bad, hard to tell other than slight limping after irritation. Usually the swelling goes down in a couple of days but it seems very sensitive to anything. (Jump off the deck, which I really try to keep him from doing that!) I give them Mazari waterfowl food. They get peas as treats with cucumber and also get Vitamin B-12 liquid form over the treats. I’m putting some feelers out there to see if anyone has advice and it’s much appreciated. I am 100% willing to take him to the vet to see what they say also. They’re special guys to me. Let me know, thanks!
If it or any other ducks are jumping off the deck have you considered either a small ramp or some sort of steps?
maybe even a sand bag or a few to create a way for them to easily manuever going up and down

Sure looks like it's a bumble, You can try soaking his foot in Warm Epsom salt water to help get the scab loosened It can take several days or longer but you want to be able to peel the scab off without tearing healthy skin. Then if the kernel doesn't come out with the scab you'll need to dig out the bumble I have used a sterile tweezer to do it. Then pack with antibiotic ointment wrap and keep him out of water till it is healed.

Since his foot isn't swollen and the only part of his leg swelling I'd say his foot and knee issues aren't the same, his jumping off the deck is most likely causing his knee problems..

Sure looks like it's a bumble, You can try soaking his foot in Warm Epsom salt water to help get the scab loosened It can take several days or longer but you want to be able to peel the scab off without tearing healthy skin. Then if the kernel doesn't come out with the scab you'll need to dig out the bumble I have used a sterile tweezer to do it. Then pack with antibiotic ointment wrap and keep him out of water till it is healed.

Since his foot isn't swollen and the only part of his leg swelling I'd say his foot and knee issues aren't the same, his jumping off the deck is most likely causing his knee problems..
I just got him in for a vet appointment today at 3:30. I gave him an Epsom salt soak last night but didn’t even try to attempt to peel off the scab. I will definitely bring that up to the vet also. I haven’t let him get up on the deck in at least a few days and will probably be putting up a gate so they don’t try to get up. Thank you for the responses!

Yes will do!
Let us know what the vet says please.
So we got back a while ago from the vet. She gave me some medication to put on his feet, both of his feet had it but I caught it early. So the treatment is:
-Keep him off the ground (laying straw down in his pen) which is had to build a smaller pen because theirs is way to large to contain and keep clean.
-Keeping it clean and no baths or water time
-Keeping his feet wrapped with padding under for a week at a time. Bath time is okay during the replacement 15 minutiae soak and play time.
-Continue this process for 2 months.
So this is a lot but needs to be done. Here are the medications she gave me. One is an anti-inflammatory and pain management and the other is what to actually put in the wound. She didn’t feel it was needed to do surgery. So I’m happy with that.

Attachments

• 73B2B3A5-5531-485D-AE52-E65FA7D16A54.jpeg
    73B2B3A5-5531-485D-AE52-E65FA7D16A54.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AD6BDA84-8F23-418B-881D-C6236751F52A.jpeg
    AD6BDA84-8F23-418B-881D-C6236751F52A.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 9
  • ABC8C1A6-225C-436B-A73F-863E6BDAE4A7.jpeg
    ABC8C1A6-225C-436B-A73F-863E6BDAE4A7.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom