Help with Mites/Lice

ThePhoebeFive

My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.
12 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Carolina
I discovered that my flock of Marans had a pretty bad case of mites and/or lice. (I feel soooo bad because it was all up under their saddles and I forgot that would be a concern.) I was literally about to move them into my large flock of chickens, but now I can't. I treated with Ivermectin pour-on yesterday. They are locked out of their coop because I had to clean the coop super well and the inside's all wet. Problem is it's pouring rain and the coop won't dry out. Since I already put Ivermectin on, would it be safe for me to put the Marans in with the rest of the chickens or do I risk them passing it on? (It's supposed to rain for the rest of the week, so their coop is not going to dry out.)

I discovered that my flock of Marans had a pretty bad case of mites and/or lice. (I feel soooo bad because it was all up under their saddles and I forgot that would be a concern.) I was literally about to move them into my large flock of chickens, but now I can't. I treated with Ivermectin pour-on yesterday. They are locked out of their coop because I had to clean the coop super well and the inside's all wet. Problem is it's pouring rain and the coop won't dry out. Since I already put Ivermectin on, would it be safe for me to put the Marans in with the rest of the chickens or do I risk them passing it on? (It's supposed to rain for the rest of the week, so their coop is not going to dry out.)
We have the same situation as you. It has rained most of the week and all last night, and it's still raining and it's going to continue. Frustrating.

I wouldnt move the Marans in with the rest of your chickens. It may take one or two days for the Ivermectin to do it's job to kill the mites. Lice dont suck blood. They feed on feathers, dead skin, but will lap up blood if the skin is broken. Consider dusting the Marans with Permethrin dust and then inside of their coop after it's dried out. Then, if there are lice and mite eggs attached to feather shafts, neither product will treat the eggs. The eggs can be removed by using coconut oil.
The eggs take about 10 days to hatch, 2 or 3 more treatments would be needed to end their lifecycle. Again, I recommend Permethrin.

Perhaps you can rig up a fan inside the coop to dry it quicker. I've had to do that and it works after scrubbing and washing out a coop very early in the morning during summer. BUT I havnt done it on a rainy day. You can give it a try and see how it goes.
Let us know how it turns out.

We have the same situation as you. It has rained most of the week and all last night, and it's still raining and it's going to continue. Frustrating.

I wouldnt move the Marans in with the rest of your chickens. It may take one or two days for the Ivermectin to do it's job to kill the mites. Lice dont suck blood. They feed on feathers, dead skin, but will lap up blood if the skin is broken. Consider dusting the Marans with Permethrin dust and then inside of their coop after it's dried out. Then, if there are lice and mite eggs attached to feather shafts, neither product will treat the eggs. The eggs can be removed by using coconut oil.
The eggs take about 10 days to hatch, 2 or 3 more treatments would be needed to end their lifecycle. Again, I recommend Permethrin.

Perhaps you can rig up a fan inside the coop to dry it quicker. I've had to do that and it works after scrubbing and washing out a coop very early in the morning during summer. BUT I havnt done it on a rainy day. You can give it a try and see how it goes.
Let us know how it turns out.
Okay, thank you. I was considering using Permethrin in conjunction with the Ivermectin, but everything and everyone got soaked so I didn't have a chance.

I usually wait til a dry day and wash it early morning... but I literally had no choice yesterday. 🤷‍♀️ The fan may help. Thanks.

I have a fan inside all my coops except one. You know how hot it gets during the summer along with the humidity.
I turn them on low speed or medium speed depending how hot it's going to be at night.
I have the fan(s) blowing out a vent and indirect airflow comes in through the other vents. That way there is no air blowing directly on the chickens. I shut the fans off in the mornings when I go out open and clean the coops.

Back
Top Bottom