Help with my 1st pair of turkeys

gtokitty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Hey all,

I'm new here and I just wanted to post here to learn some things about my new turkeys I'm getting on the weekend. I am new to turkeys and have been reading all week about them. I am getting a young pair of Narragansett Turkeys. I know I have lots to learn and these turkeys are pretty hardy.

I've been looking for good set ups inside to make for them. I don't have my big outside yard done yet, so they will have to wait a bit to go out there sadly. I will get it done as soon as I can tho!! I have lots of fencing just need the person power to help me do it
smile.png
The breeder is teaching me how to clip there wings also. They breed and show turkeys, chickens and quail. They are located an hour away from me.

My coop is 20' long x 10' wide and 10' tall. (we used to have quite the number of chickens) Another question of mine was... since we had chickens in the coop before, it has cement floors, I want to disinfect the whole coop so I think I'm going to dilute some bleach and spray the whole coop and pressure wash it out and hopefully that will kill anything that was in there. It has been vacant for 6 years but I just want to be sure
smile.png

Anything else that i'm missing in my post feel free to send me some links to coop interior set ups your experiances with this species of turkeys and anything else you'd like to inform me of
smile.png

THANKS in advance!

ALSO, I forgot to add, It gets down to -40C with wind chills here sometimes in the winter, will these turkeys be alright without heat lamps and what not? Or even as adults they will need to be kept warm? They have a fully covered inside coop, I will post some photos.... I am going to put the vents in as this coop has them down really low and I've read to put them up high. The ones that are in there work great in the summer months but I don't think they are going to be good for the winter, they are much to big and are right by where they would be roosting....

Back
Top Bottom