Help With My Broody?

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
I know there are several questions about this, I need to let nature take its course, I already know all that. But I’m still a worrier, so someone please give me some calming advice.

My broody has been on the nest for 10 days now, has access to food and water (yes, I’ve showed her the water) but no sign of poop yet. She’s looking very pale. The water doesn’t look like it has went down at all. Help?

** we’re in revival at my church, so I can’t check on her as often as I would like and feed her myself. Also, my great grandmother passed away and today is her funeral. I probably won’t reply until later tonight. I hate to be worrying about a chicken when a loved one has passed away, but I would rest a lot easier. Thanks everyone.***

I know there are several questions about this, I need to let nature take its course, I already know all that. But I’m still a worrier, so someone please give me some calming advice.

My broody has been on the nest for 10 days now, has access to food and water (yes, I’ve showed her the water) but no sign of poop yet. She’s looking very pale. The water doesn’t look like it has went down at all. Help?

** we’re in revival at my church, so I can’t check on her as often as I would like and feed her myself. Also, my great grandmother passed away and today is her funeral. I probably won’t reply until later tonight. I hate to be worrying about a chicken when a loved one has passed away, but I would rest a lot easier. Thanks everyone.***
Broody hens will hold their poop for an extended period of time. Once she does poop you will know it. You will think there is a leaking sewer line somewhere and it will be the biggest thing in the world to have come from her body. Is she in an area where the food and water will fit beside her or closer? My broody right now is in a nest that I can put a small feeder and water for her and she drinks and eats. I take it out after some time since she doesn't need it there 24/7. If she's gentle enough you could try to put the water in front of her and get her to drink. It's very hot here and I don't like my broody going without water all day since I know she will sit there for days without anything. Alot of people advise to let her be and let nature takes it's course and no human interaction I'd needed . I understand that but if I can help (which I think I do) then I will. I've had 3 hens have chicks and I've always intervened and never had an issue. I've heard of some people taking the broody off the nest and "forcing" her to walk around and get food and also poop. I've done this. My last broody didn't poop or eat for 7 or 8 days I took her off and she went running to poop and eat some grass. She came back to her eggs about 30 minutes later.

I have taken a broody out of the nest and dipped her beak in the waterer to stimulate her to drink...she drank deeply, gobbles some food, ran around then back to nest. After that she did it on her own.
Is she in an area where you absolutely can't miss where she pooped?
Is it really hot where you are?
Sorry for your loss.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-6-24_10-18-7.png

Thank you all for your replies. Today is day 12, and yesterday I found a HUGE pile of poop next to her nest which (as weird as it sounds lol) made me extremely happy and relieved. It gets up in the 80s during the day, so I make sure to keep her hydrated as often as I can.

Revival ended yesterday, so I’ll be able to check on her more often now. I candled the eggs and all three chicks are developing, I’m getting super excited!! :wee

Back
Top Bottom