Help with my homemade incubator please!

Hey, Happy Hens, It's that nonstick drawer liner stuff. I got a roll for $1 at the dollar tree. It has small holes to let any hatching liquid fall thru but is soft for new chicks to walk on, I hope!

Got humidity hanging steady at 70%. I had to break seal to add a cup of steaming water to boost humidity. It worked and I didn't lose temp at all. So hopefully no harm! I REALLY hope they hatch! This is almost as bad as when I was pregnant! At least I don't have to give birth myself!

Jloeffer: I will bet you that you get atleast 100% hatch if you got heat & humidity correct. I like that pen for your chicky's, I'm not getting many eggs but I am selling chickens. Just got assortment of Silkies in today. Good luck on your first hatch.
thumbsup.gif
look soon you will have these
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Okay today is Day 21. I have been avidly watching and listening for the last couple of days, much to my dh s amusement. At least someone is getting something out of my experiment! And, I swear I saw one rocking! Not so sure now, but at the time I was sure it did a little rock twice!

Question: how long do I wait?

Florida - I certainly hope so! And now my only laying hen is broody! NOW she decides she wants to hatch eggs! Crazy bird hormones!

Last edited:
Quote:
You shouldn't wait no longer than 25. Time will tell, And you might think hey are all fertile but in the long run they are not all fertile.Thats what I hate when I think they are all fertile and there not.Look for these soon
jumpy.gif
Mine are always on time. day 18 I Raise the humidity up to atleast 55.

Last edited:
Okay, first of all, is it normal that I'm checking on those eggs like every half hour to an hour??
pop.gif

Serious question now : humidity and temp have been perfectly steady since lockdown began. Then a couple of hours ago the humidity started to climb slowly. It's now almost at 75%. is this normal? Do I need to do anything?? Arrrggghhh! This was supposed to be fun! Not stressful!! LOL!

Last edited:
Jloeffler, hang in there!. I just finished my first incubating experience today. And you're right it can be stressful; I'm not sure that I catagorize this hatching business as fun, though my chilrden certainly do. But then while they were alseep, I was checking and rechecking humidity, air cells and temperature. Endless. It's intersting, it's a challenge. Way more stressful than I expected! And I'm doing it again--made my own incubator, and set 27 eggs (turkey and EE) though I've noticed I'm not stressing as much.

Great job making the fishtank incubator--love the creativity and helpfulness of the people hereat BYC!

fl.gif

Quote:
You are exactly right! My dh keeps picking on about getting on here so much, but where else would someone else have sympathy over my stressing about eggs hatching?
big_smile.png
love it!

Back
Top Bottom