Help with my rooster please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mayberrygirl, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    half of my hens are featherless on their backs now. And one of my naked necks has no feathers on her bow tie. I have 1 EE roo and 6 various hens in with him. His fave (the poor little Buff Minorca), he is going at her all day, mating furiously.

Is my ratio off, do I need more hens? Or do I need to get rid of him and try with a new rooster? I guess I would be OK with no roo, but I love hatching eggs (and not waiting for them or paying extra).

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can add more hens, that will help. Or you can make chicken saddles for your hens to protect them and give the feathers a change to grow back.

3. mayberrygirl

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Is there a good saddle pattern out there that is free?

4. mayberrygirl

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Thank you - am getting out the sewing machine tonight.

5. mayberrygirl

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Bumping back up, I just noticed when I let the chickens out this morning that poor Minnie the Minorca has no feathers on the back of her head and neck. I know she is his favorite, but how can I get him to quit over mating her. Seriously, he is attacking her - twice in the first 5 mins of letting them out this morning. It sounds like she is screaming no when he does it (I know she has to be, but it sounds like English not chicken clucking).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by