Help with new chick!

Fletchie86

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2019
Hi, I’m the proud mummy of some new Maran chicks, however, one of them is struggling... is there anything that I can do to help? It cannot stand up and it keeps kind of shuffling but it won’t come out from under the brooder at all :(
I’ve tried to get some photos to show what it’s let’s are like but not the best shots!

Attachments

• 87FF399D-D957-4353-B5D8-AE43EA88E973.jpeg
    87FF399D-D957-4353-B5D8-AE43EA88E973.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 912532F8-EEE8-4FA7-B04A-87C7A41060CD.jpeg
    912532F8-EEE8-4FA7-B04A-87C7A41060CD.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 12
  • A2C7BDC1-EF42-4AAE-9A4B-8564377167A6.jpeg
    A2C7BDC1-EF42-4AAE-9A4B-8564377167A6.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 12
How old is it?
Have you been dipping it’s beak in water?

A few drops of sugar water, a drop of nutridrench poultry vitamins for energy might help too.
You need to teach them at the beginning how to drink and eat and where to find it. Some catch on quicker than others.

It’s 48 hours old. It did drink some water today when I dipped it’s beak. But it will not eat anything. It’s like it’s legs are just not working :( it still cannot stand up it just shuffles round in a small circle. All the other chicks are fine but this one just doesn’t look right.

How old is it?
Have you been dipping it’s beak in water?

A few drops of sugar water, a drop of nutridrench poultry vitamins for energy might help too.
You need to teach them at the beginning how to drink and eat and where to find it. Some catch on quicker than others.

Thanks, I’ve dipped it’s beak in sugar water and I think it took a few drops but still won’t eat. I will get some vitamin drops in the morning and keep trying! I don’t want to give up but I’m also concerned as one leg seems to be dragging behind it all the time so when you try and stand it up it just falls on it’s face :(

Thanks, I’ve dipped it’s beak in sugar water and I think it took a few drops but still won’t eat. I will get some vitamin drops in the morning and keep trying! I don’t want to give up but I’m also concerned as one leg seems to be dragging behind it all the time so when you try and stand it up it just falls on it’s face :(
Is it spraddlegged? Or just weakness?
You can drop sugar water ON to its beak. it’ll roll down and into its mouth.
If it’s 48 hrs from hatch (not delivery) it still has nutrients from the yolk it absorbed.

A video would be great help here.

Pic of it standing for the side and/or front, but from down low not from above would help.
Video would be even better...upload to YouTube or vimeo then linked here.
Where did you get chicks from?

Back
Top Bottom