Help with painting in high humidity and heat

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
Okay - is there any way to paint my coop during this Virginia high humidity and heat weather? Today is supposed to be 84F/65% humidity at noon, currently it's 78F/85% at 7 a.m. and they're predicting thunderstorms for this evening - not an uncommmon prediction in VA during summer - however reality rarely matches the prediction.

I've looked at the primer can I've got sitting around in the house - Zinsser Bullseye Zero and it lists ranges of temperatures from 50F to 85F - so how successful will it be if I attempt to prime the exposed interior portions of the coop or the interior side of the siding? I'm willing to purchase a different primer/paint if I need to - I want to get these portions painted before the siding gets nailed up as it will be harder to reach once it's on.

Not sure about your particular brand of paint/primer but I used Dutch Boy paint/primer all in one. It's made to cover unfinished surfaces and it really covered well. It was dry to the touch in less than an hour... It was good stuff. It was a bit expensive, $32/gallon, but I believe well worth it, covered the OSB in one coat.

It was 95 degrees with about 70% humidity when my wife painted it, no problems and it did rain about 5 hours after she got it done.

Last edited:
I use porch paint or tinted stain here in FL, since we live on an Island and can't predict pop up showers I just paint when I can and hope for clear skies. I use porch paint because when it dries water beads up on it. Since I hose the brooders & grow out pens off and out every other day this makes the job easier. Plus the porch paint lasts longer here with our weather.

Pretty much all paints suggest useage along the lines you mentioned. Many of us have had to paint in other than 'ideal' conditions - the paint stays tacky longer - longer to dry. Although you rolled your eyes about the forecast of predicted rain, if there's a strong possibility I'd probably put off painting. You can't outwait the humidity and heat, but surely there'll be a day this week without rain being predicted?? Good luck!

Quote:
Thanks - that's the weather conditions I'm looking at for the rest of the week and into August. So I think I may just have to take my chances and paint - even if it means repainting later.

So I decided to go ahead and prime some of the area with what I had on hand and it was fine - it dried quickly and another part of the coop is almost done.

Last edited:
I live in SW VA and had the same problems. I painted mid morning before it got too humid and an hour or two before sunset (unless we had a pop up shower!). The paint did fine (I used Kilz) It sometimes took longer than the 1 hour to be 'able to touch'. I did 3 or 4 light coats on some (all were new lumber) as I plan on using the hose often on them. I painted all the pieces before building and will touch up where they got scuffed.

When it rains you can choose to look down in the mud puddles or up to God's rainbow!

I live in SW VA and had the same problems. I painted mid morning before it got too humid and an hour or two before sunset (unless we had a pop up shower!). The paint did fine (I used Kilz) It sometimes took longer than the 1 hour to be 'able to touch'. I did 3 or 4 light coats on some (all were new lumber) as I plan on using the hose often on them. I painted all the pieces before building and will touch up where they got scuffed.

When it rains you can choose to look down in the mud puddles or up to God's rainbow!

Sorry about the re-post....my computer and I sometimes have issues!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom