Help with Pasty butts

SoccerMomof7

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Kansas
I clean the same little guys everyday, is there something I can do to help it not come back? Is it something I am doing worng?

Just think of it as a newborn, your constantly changing diapers.

I dont know if theres anything you can do, i would suggest maybe even shaving or trimming the butt fur??

My chicks peck each others butts and they basically clean each other.
roll.png

I had this same problem recently with OE Gamebird chicks which are sooo small and fragile-looking. I made certain they were warm enough, started them on medicated chick starter, and maybe most importantly, added apple cider vinegar to their fresh drinking water. Vast improvement within 24-hours.
Good luck!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - you may want to smear a little vaseline on their bottoms once you get them cleaned up so the poop doesn't stick as badly.

Huh! Apple cider vinegar! I drink it everyday and come to think of it, I noticed a thread about it and meant to read it later and then forgot. I'll try and find that again but in the meantime how much per gallon do you use? There's no end to all the good things that stuff does!

To be honest, I'm really bad, because I don't always go by the rules myself, but I think I have read several places something like a teaspoon to a gallon. I just dribble a bit in a large mason canning jar for my babies because I don't ever brood that many at a time and I want it to be fresh water, but I do know I probably use more than the recommended amount. I've never measured and never had any adverse effects. They always drink it with no problems. Sorry for the bad influence!! And yes, it had so many uses it's amazing. I add it to my four dogs' water most of the time, too. They drink it right down.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom