Help with raising wild Canada gosling

Sandfly45

Songster
Sep 1, 2019
I have become mother to an orphaned gosling (larry) that was maybe a day old when we got it. He is in the brooder with 4 juvenile chickens and is thriving with regular sessions outdoors and good nutrition. The trouble is he screams the house down when im out of his sight! I thought he would like the company of the other chickens but he really doesn't care for them. I actually had to put him in bed with me last night to get him to sleep but hubby is not so happy about that arrangement lol. Will he learn to self settle soon? He's about 9 days old now

I live in New Zealand (they are not a protected species here)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have become mother to an orphaned gosling (larry) that was maybe a day old when we got it. He is in the brooder with 4 juvenile chickens and is thriving with regular sessions outdoors and good nutrition. The trouble is he screams the house down when im out of his sight! I thought he would like the company of the other chickens but he really doesn't care for them. I actually had to put him in bed with me last night to get him to sleep but hubby is not so happy about that arrangement lol. Will he learn to self settle soon? He's about 9 days old now
Wild Canadian geese are protected by the Migratory Bird Act and it is against federal law to be in possession of adults, eggs or goslings. Please take him to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area so he can get proper care and treatment.

So I thought I'd add a happy update on Larry. He goes down history as the smartest little Canadian gosling- when he was abandoned/ lost he found himself a human to latch onto and protect him like a parent 20211121_193209.jpg VideoCapture_20211122-215408.jpg . Today I took him to the Lake for his first real swim and there was other canada geese there with babies. He swam straight up to them and joined the family with no worries from the parent geese. 20211122_174503.jpg VideoCapture_20211122-215026.jpg i wasn't planning on farewells with him today but after watching him totally blend in with them after 20 minutes I left him with his new family. So happy :love

Attachments

• 20211122_175715.jpg
    20211122_175715.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom