help with sexing these wyandottes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiechick57, Mar 7, 2008.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

roos? all of them roos?oh no.........can someone help me sex these birds...........the one small blue behind the big one in the one pic is the only one without wattles.......and is quite small.......but I cannot seem to sex the darker ones......all have same wattles and tail feathers so far..... please don't tell me I only have one hen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... I can't tell you that you only have one hen... but I only see one in the back of the second picture...

3. okiechick57

Quote:Yea,that is the one I thought/knew was a hen.........so...all others roo's? [​IMG]

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My Wyans hardly had any comb or wattles at all until they were quite a ways toward laying age. I'm not seeing but one girl there either...hope I'm wrong!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry, but I think one pullet too.

6. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Im' watching and reading with interest.
    A friend of mine and I ordered 10 Straight run BLRW from McMurray (yes I know hatchery birds) but we are still very excited.
    they only sell them straight run.
    a few questions,
    what age are the chicks above?
    and would that be about the age I should be able to tell if I have boys/girls.
    ie what age should I start posting pictures! <G>

thanks!
    CS
    and her healthy 2 week old McMurray chicks!

7. okiechick57

Quote:I bought them at auction a couple of weeks ago......I am guessing about 6 to 8 weeks old? maybe 10? clueless I am........

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I see an awful lot of roos too. You can tell by the leg thickness as well. The pullets legs are clearly thinner.

Jody

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What sex did they sell them as? You might be lucky you got even one pullet. Since you got them at an auction somebody was probably just getting rid of their excess roos.

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I have three BLRWs hatched on Valentines Day and the day after. Two have red combs developing and one has a flat orange spot. I'm right with you Okie, crying over the roo to hen ratio!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by