Help with Sick Pekin we gotta get through tonight see vet in am

blumoonduckmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
My 3 week old Pekin likely has aspirated food and is suffering from Pneumonia. This is the vets best guess but I have to wait till morning to see the Avian Vet so I need to get through the night. He is breathing heavy and feels very warm. I am considering moving him into my bathtub for the night so I can watch him. Is there anything I can purchase for him tonight to help ease his discomfort? I feel confident the vet is correct because he has no other symptoms other then distressed breathing and a fever. Should I get him some electrolytes for support. He is eating and drinking well now but his breathing is more labored than before. Just need to get him supported through the night

My 3 week old Pekin likely has aspirated food and is suffering from Pneumonia. This is the vets best guess but I have to wait till morning to see the Avian Vet so I need to get through the night. He is breathing heavy and feels very warm. I am considering moving him into my bathtub for the night so I can watch him. Is there anything I can purchase for him tonight to help ease his discomfort? I feel confident the vet is correct because he has no other symptoms other then distressed breathing and a fever. Should I get him some electrolytes for support. He is eating and drinking well now but his breathing is more labored than before. Just need to get him supported through the night
Of course what ever you need to do for support till you can get him so help. Please update when you see the vet.

I am just thinking out loud here - anyone use peppermint oil for their ducks? I am wondering if just a couple of drops of peppermint oil in a cup that would let the aroma fill the bathroom might help - it's supposed to be good for soothing respiratory ailments.

Or some peppermint tea. Or something like that, ginger tea, nothing overpowering, not too much.

I definitely would put vitamins and electrolytes in his water.

hugs.gif

Prayers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom