Help With Sick Pekin

Looks like a rat is chewing on him to me. Ducks rarely if ever self mutilate and if they do thats not a spot they would chew on easily. Even with severe mites they dont chew.

Rat bites can kill and need to be treated with antibiotics. We have on occasion had them get into our rescue and kill babies and chew on ducks. We cover all our rehab pens now with mesh and we trap rats.

If you want to get him here i can take a look at him and try to get him bacl on his feet. I have a volunteer who could meet you part of the way. Just email me if you want to try and get her here. She does need to get some medical care.

Thanks for posting, Jen. I would never have thought of rats.

ohsnapitscharity , you can't do better than to take your duck to Carolina Waterfowl Rescue!

I have a juvy scovy in now chewed by rats and it looks very similiar. The blood feather broke on the tail and they start eating the blood. I had one chew the wound on a duck before too and eat all the flesh off her foot
sad.png

You will need to call and ask. The issue is to get your duck the help it needs before it gets worse or even dies.

Non profit rescues work on no funding except donations.
It would be nice to donate something even if it is couple bags of feed or bedding.

Back
Top Bottom