Help With Slaughter! Desperate! He's dead now, Sankyoo

I don't know where you live, but perhaps you can find another more experienced BYCer near you who can help you. You could go to their place the next time they butcher, or they could come to you when you have more birds to dispatch. When I started I had a neighbor who hunts show me what to do. After that, and also after doing additional research online & in books, I have been able to perfect a technique that works best for me and is most effective & efficient -- therefore humane -- for the birds.

I was first taught to chop through the neck with a machete, placing the bird on a stump. But that technique didn't work for me when I processed alone because I don't have the arm strength plus I tend to hesitate at just the moment I need to whack the hardest. I have since learned how to quickly dispatch the birds by slitting their neck arteries, the way it's been described here.

I live in West Palm Beach, FL and you are welcome to come here the next time I process chickens in early July.

You are all VERY BRAVE!

My dad has been talking about being behind on the bills and how we might have to eat might chickens. I told him his dog had more meat than all my babies combined. In all honesty theres no way anyone in this house could take the life on any creature. We can't even do it for a suffering animal. We pile in the car and speed to a clinic or shelter for a lethal injection.

P.S. for the past 3 months (since I got my first chicken) I've eaten only fish. I haven't had the heart to eat chicken yet and I can't stand the way red meat looks on my plate.

Quote:
Well a certain well known Orc wont eat pork(a fav of orcies) because the squealing reminds him of the sound the drae kids make when slaughtered :'( An no mon ah be trolleh.

Quote:
after snipping at the corners of his jaws repeatedly until he started to actually bleed (very very little) I gave up as doing this started to make me extremely dizzy and Ill I grabbed the machete... hit him - he screamed - hit him again - he did his death throes.... only to come to and I knew he was because storm is rolling in fast and wind was rocking his entire body yet he kept his eye glued on me - whacked him again and he screamed - again and death throes again.... this time he went completely limp after...

I'm sorry but I laughed til I cried. I can just see it. To bad it wasn't on tape.

It's not funny :'( He was a good roo... some of it was on tape... but I'm not about to show it. I recorded a small bit for a dear friend who was trying to talk me through it because she couldn't believe he was still alive after "dying" twice. I had to even edit the video for /her/ because I started screaming and crying hysterically at the end of it.
th.gif

Quote:
THAT is the exact way I attempted to do it my very first time too and it ended horrifically. THIS time was actually based on what was suggested to me. Here. After the first time went so horribly. I /attempted/ to do the artery thing but cut everywhere /but/ his arteries. I mean... horrifying detail; but you could see him breathing through my failed attempts rather clearly. I tried looking it up before hand but there weren't any diagrams to be found on google and the fact they suggested it so bluntly - I thought I might see it through his skin once I strung him up. Didn't. Hence this panicked posts conception.. I mean I /thought/ I saw it which is why I tried to do that initial cut. Saw a thick red line down his throat. I'm just grateful he was very quiet and calm for me the entire time.
I'd take you up on that offer in a heartbeat but you are so far away from me
sad.png
I tried talking to the feed store workers LONG before this and all they could tell me was they tried to slaughter. Once. And that it wasn't worth the effort to skin it. No wonder they didn't sell kill cones...

Quote:
I'd try that... but I get a bad feeling it's not going to work out as easily as it looks.. like everything else I tried...

Im sure that it will work just fine, but you have to DO it, not half way do it. If, and when, you end up where you have to do it again, you have to buck up, take a deep breath, and do it right and completely the first time. There are lots of videos on Youtube that are excellent, showing how to make the cut right the first time.

I know you can do it.

Quote:
Well a certain well known Orc wont eat pork(a fav of orcies) because the squealing reminds him of the sound the drae kids make when slaughtered :'( An no mon ah be trolleh.

In that case you're good. You won't be killin' no chickens for da voodoo! (I love my troll shammy
big_smile.png
)

I feel you, though. I am pondering the idea of raising meaties, but I'd be afraid of exactly what you went through.

Quote:

Have you read the novel "Rise of the Horde"? Im glad there is still an orc out there that feels some sympathy towards the Draenei, cause they did us SO WRONG!

At least the Trills get their land back in Cat.
smile.png

Quote:

In that case you're good. You won't be killin' no chickens for da voodoo! (I love my troll shammy
big_smile.png
)

I feel you, though. I am pondering the idea of raising meaties, but I'd be afraid of exactly what you went through.

It's tough but it was him or my entire flock. Too much crowing pisses off neighbors... not to mention he had poor traits I didn't want him to pass on... My remaining roo is beautiful(imo) and VERY people oriented... also a wonderful provider for the girls... as sweet as this one was... he was stupid... and wandered too far from the flock often - was greedy and selfish and constantly stole opportunities that the hens were offering the /other/ rooster which caused a fight and one scared hen constantly caught in the middle - screeching as they both try to pin her at the same time. Not a lovely thing to be unable to break up.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom