Help with vent lice

Fancyfeetchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Hi all. I have three hens with terrible vent lice. I've been rubbing DE on their bums with little luck. It's been about a month since I noticed the lice eggs on their feathers and still can't seem to get rid of them. They all look and act healthy other than this lice. Help please!!!

I've read that coconut oil will remove the eggs. Otherwise I recommend using sevin dust to dust all your birds, repeat dusting in 7-10 days. Do the same thing inside the coop and nests.

Get a pillow case and put a pile of sevin dust in it. Then put a chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top of the pillow case. Grab the chicken by the neck snugly and gently 'shake and bake,' rolling the chicken around inside the pillow case. Then pull her out and rub some dust on her head and neck. Dont get any dust in her eyes or nostrils. Then let her go. She'll shake herself off and go about her business. Wear a mask and old chicken clothes and shoes.
To dust the coop: Put a pile of sevin dust at the entrance to the coop. Get your leaf blower and hit the pile full blast. I guarantee you that every nook and cranie inside the coop will be dusted. Let the dust settle before letting chickens go inside the coop. Wear a mask, old chicken clothes and shoes.

Wait...what...??? I am kind of new and have never heard of this, what is vent lice?

Wait...what...??? I am kind of new and have never heard of this, what is vent lice?

My chickens have chicken lice all around their vents. The Luce is pretty bad and had eggs all on the chickens feather base and its gross. Go check your chickens.

Get a pillow case and put a pile of sevin dust in it. Then put a chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top of the pillow case. Grab the chicken by the neck snugly and gently 'shake and bake,' rolling the chicken around inside the pillow case. Then pull her out and rub some dust on her head and neck. Dont get any dust in her eyes or nostrils. Then let her go. She'll shake herself off and go about her business. Wear a mask and old chicken clothes and shoes.
To dust the coop: Put a pile of sevin dust at the entrance to the coop. Get your leaf blower and hit the pile full blast. I guarantee you that every nook and cranie inside the coop will be dusted. Let the dust settle before letting chickens go inside the coop. Wear a mask, old chicken clothes and shoes.

Great idea thank you. Can you get sevin dust at tsc?

Back
Top Bottom