help with waterer for inside coop

the little zoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Hello, can anyone tell me what is the best kind of waterer for inside my coop at night time. One that won't get knocked over or get sawdust kicked into it?
I keep there food & water in there run as they are in there all the time except for when they are sleeping.
Do they need drinking water in there coop over night or are they just sleeping with out need of water during the night?

Hope you can help

Hello, can anyone tell me what is the best kind of waterer for inside my coop at night time. One that won't get knocked over or get sawdust kicked into it?
I keep there food & water in there run as they are in there all the time except for when they are sleeping.
Do they need drinking water in there coop over night or are they just sleeping with out need of water during the night?

Hope you can help

I would love to hear responses as well, I have figured out that if I raise the waterer up on a cement block it stays cleaner but I have been through several and have not found one I really like. Hopefully someone will come along and help us both.

Hope you can help

Provided they're only in the coop at night and can go to the run soon after waking up, no need for food or water in their coop. They don't eat or drink while sleeping.

Last edited:
I bought a chicken fountain... Google it... My birds adjusted very well to it & they loved it! I hated how nasty their water was & I love the fountain! It was about 80$ & I asked them to assemble it for me ( I wasn't comfy doing the glue myself). But now my birds are loose in the yard & would prefer to go to where the hose drips, so they do what they want in the end!!

For all the posters to this thread....I would highly recommend a horizontal water nipple bucket for those of you who are having problems with spilled water, dirty nasty water, etc. Whether you have water available to your girls in the coop and/or run, this is the BEST solution.

At the bottom of my post you will see my link to making these. I'm 70 years old and made mine in less than 20 minutes!

I have had no leaking whatsoever, my girls "got the hang of it" in less than 30 minutes, and all is well in chicken land here!
frow.gif

You could suspend the waterer from the the ceiling of the coop, instead of setting it on the floor. Since my coop is part of a chicken tractor, everything hangs on a chain from the ceiling. That gives me complete control over the height and keeps everything pretty clean. Any hanging waterer will do.

My coop has an Ador1 automatic door. When my flock is not on supplemental lighting, feed and water consumption in the coop is very minimal, because they are "released" at sunrise.

For all the posters to this thread....I would highly recommend a horizontal water nipple bucket for those of you who are having problems with spilled water, dirty nasty water, etc. Whether you have water available to your girls in the coop and/or run, this is the BEST solution.

At the bottom of my post you will see my link to making these. I'm 70 years old and made mine in less than 20 minutes!

I have had no leaking whatsoever, my girls "got the hang of it" in less than 30 minutes, and all is well in chicken land here!
frow.gif

Looks like it would work great. I am going to try it. Thanks!

frow.gif

Oh wow i just ordered the horizontal nipples to put on a 2 gallon bucket this morning.

Glad to hear they will be so easy to attach to the bucket. Thanks

Oh wow i just ordered the horizontal nipples to put on a 2 gallon bucket this morning.

Glad to hear they will be so easy to attach to the bucket. Thanks
That's great! One thing...make sure you use a 3/8" drill bit only. When you do the drilling keep your drill bit facing "dead-on-straight" to the bucket...that's key. and when you screw in the nipples, same thing, too...nice and "straight on". Only 'snap' your lid in one spot so it has air for the nipples to work. I think you'll be more than pleased...do let me know!!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Provided they're only in the coop at night and can go to the run soon after waking up, no need for food or water in their coop. They don't eat or drink while sleeping.
I totally agree. Once they go to roost,they don't eat or drink at nite. Unless you lock them in, no need for a second feed/water set up.

Back
Top Bottom