Help with weak, previously super-healthy 4 day old chick~

pitbullmomma

Free Ranging
6 Years
Apr 30, 2017
...unapologetic Jersey Girl...
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, I'm Cindi from NJ (crossposted this to new member forum and emergency forum, so if I violated any etiquette, I'm sorry).

I'm a first-time chicken owner but used to be a small-animal (not chicken) veterinarian. Know a bit about animals and raised quite a few babies. :)

I got 6 banties off MPC on Tuesday. 3 silkies, 3 feather-legged mix. Five of them were doing great initially. The runt who was sickly and weak from the start died after two days. I did all the supportive care stuff, but she died anyway. It wasn't a surprise and I was expecting it, honestly.

Here's the problem though: My biggest, friendliest, and healthiest silkie (she looks just like Big Bird from Sesame Street) was acting perfectly fine up till this morning. Goofy personality, kicking and scratching her food, eating like a pig, lovey. This morning I go in to check on them and she's off by herself, weak, acting like my other chick who died. Won't eat. The others are fine and lively. I gave her sugar water which she took, but still won't touch the food or chopped eggs. I don't know what to to. I really love this baby and want her to live!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cindi

Was there a cold snap during their transit? If so, this Silkie may be experiencing a delayed reaction from being chilled.

Poultry Nutri-drench might help to turn this chick around if you get it quickly. Have you heard of it? It's designed to be absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing under-functioning digestive systems.

MPC will give you credit or replace any chicks you lose if reported to them in the first 48 hours. I had to take them up on this twice, but needed to order more chicks to fill out the replacement order. Their customer service is stellar. Call them right away.

Hi Azygous,

I just got off the phone with the lady from MPC; we were talking for about a half hour. You are right, their customer service is amazing!! I've spoken and chatted with them numerous times. It's past the warranty 48 hour period, but that's OK. I just want my chick to live. They are refunding me for the weak one that died. I don't know if there was a cold snap during transit...MPC ships directly from Ohio, so who knows.

She also told me about the Nutra-Drench. And suggested a number of other things. I am going to pick some up today and some live yogurt. One thing I did notice that's new, she just had diarrhea.

Thanks so much for the help and input. This is a wonderful forum! So glad to have found you all. :)

CIndi

Hi wonderful chicken peeps!
I wanted to give you an update on Big Bird, my 6 day white old Silkie. She had some bloody diarrhea and was real sick and weak, I didn't think she was going to make it~
I called MPC and they suggested doing this baby chick emergency smoothie in a shot glass thing. I did that, and just continued intensive care. Guess what, she pulled through! She's not 100%, but sh'e eating and scratching and walking around. Poop still loose but not bloody. Much better than nodding out and trying to die! When I finally saw her eat on her own, I started crying, I was so happy. I'm going to hold off on vaccinating till she's 100% for a few days and then I'll vaccinate the flock for Marek's.
I have to post pictures. :) Thanks so much to everyone for their help! You guys are awesome!
Cindi
(cross-posted to Emergency thread)

Glad to hear your Silkie is improving. Hopefully, you rescued her just in time. The important thing now is to keep her eating and build her up. I've had real good luck using crumbled tofu for such a chick. It's so easily digested and has so many good things in it, and when Nutri-drench is sprinkled over the top like a chocolate sundae, it's a real tonic.

You can let all the chicks eat it. I've found a small weak chick will benefit from having the others stimulate its competitive nature, and it will tend to have more interest in food.

Thank you! I really have to get some of the Nutra-Drench! That stuff sounds great (my closest feed store is a ways away, but I will pick some up next time I'm down there. I will definately try that combo next time (if there is a next time). I got Greek and regular plain yogurt, but none of my chicks liked it. :(

Back
Top Bottom