Help with Wry Neck Duckling

JustDucky77

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
I have a 1 week old duckling with wry neck. I have seen suggestions to give 1/2ml NutriDrench on a q-tip. Do you give1/2 ml undiluted NutriDrench or is is it 1/2 ml of the diluted dosage on the packaging? I'm having trouble finding out exactly how much of the undiluted nutriDrench I give and how often. Once a day, every 8 hours? Would appreciate help from anyone.

Nutri-drench is great. Go ahead and give it, either mixed in water so it appears as "weak tea" or give it right from the dropper undiluted as many drops as the duckling will drink off the end of the dropper.

But it's not enough to cure wry neck. Add one capsule of vitamin E400iu each day, either popped right into its beak of opened and sprinkled over some egg each day until the neck is normal. The egg will help absorption.

Nutri-drench is great. Go ahead and give it, either mixed in water so it appears as "weak tea" or give it right from the dropper undiluted as many drops as the duckling will drink off the end of the dropper.

But it's not enough to cure wry neck. Add one capsule of vitamin E400iu each day, either popped right into its beak of opened and sprinkled over some egg each day until the neck is normal. The egg will help absorption.
Ok. Thank you. I was afraid of giving too much. It had about 1/2 ml of undiluted ND and most of a vitamin E gel cap. I wet a q-tip and then dipped in ND and they took it just fine. Did that with the vitamin E and took it no issues.

If you give a duckling this young, scrambled egg, do I need to worry about it having grit? I was told not to give grit until 3 weeks of age. I'm completely new to ducks.

Last edited:

The duckling no longer drags it's head or sleeps on it. Seems to be like the other ducklings except when drinking it often throws it's head back quite far, almost like ti doesn't have complete control. Is it ok to continue the vitamin E treatment? It's not too fond of the egg yolk or Nutri-drench anymore. Your thoughts?

Yes, continue the E. You can get some selenium tablets and give a sliver when you give the E capsule. You can give the E twice and day or even three times a day. Include B-complex as that can help repair any damaged nerve connections.

Ok. Thank you so much for all your help! My little ducky thanks you too. It's smart as a whip, always the first to figure things out. I bought a B-complex for livestock. I read somewhere 1 ml for an adult so do you think half that for a 2 week old?

Give the full dose. This is therapeutic not simply nutritional. Excess will be expelled in the urates. There's no immediate danger of overdose. Keep it up until you notice improvement, then continue for a few days beyond that.

Thank you again. I hope it works. It had made such a big improvement but seems to be throwing its head back more and has me worried it is going to revert. I'm already so attached to the little one. I can't help but be worried.

Back
Top Bottom