Help ! Wobbly Turkey.

Joint/Keel Infections. Turkeys often develop leg joint infections from being down on their hocks for a majority of the day, either because they are overweight or because they have joint pain or arthritis. The keel or breast bone in turkeys is also an area that is prone to these types of pressure sores. The contact and pressure from the ground causes the formation of scabs or sores, and these can develop into wounds through which bacteria can enter. Usually wraps and antibiotics are necessary to treat this type of infection and, if it is not treated, the infection often spreads to the bone and requires surgery or cannot be treated. Checking these areas routinely on your birds is the best way to prevent this condition. Providing heavy bedding if there is a sign of keel or joint sores is also important.

Also if you have any antibiotics you can give both of them I would ... just to make sure there isn't any internal infection that may be causing their symptoms

I just got home from work and My dad had already put both of the Turkeys down... Thank you guys for all of your help. They were in horrible shape and severely skinny. The male must have been in so much pain as his leg problems were severe.

I know this may not be what you want to do but if you want to find the cause (I would do the rest of my birds don't get sick) I would do an autopsy on them to see if their liver is enlarged .. if it is then it's Blackhead disease which is common in turkeys .. hope you get some answers!

Back
Top Bottom