Help!! Worms?!

SqueakyRoseShalom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2011
On Thursday I isolated my sick girl and treated her for worms, not knowing for sure if she had them. I used Wazine 17 in her water for about one day and diotomaceous earth in her feed, and sure enough, there were worms in her poop on Friday! I stopped the Wazine 17 after one day because it said on the label not to use it on a sick bird, so I didn't want to push it too far. I am still feeding her the diotomaceous earth, though, and i sprinkled it everywhere. So, she seems to have her energy back, but her poops are still green. No more worms in her poop today, though. So now what? Is it a waiting game? Should I give her more Wazine 17 so that all of the worms come out in her poop? Or was one day of worm elimination through her poop enough? Sigh... my first sick hen
hit.gif
. Thanks for your input!!

Brightish green poop is usually a sign of not eating (starving). It may be because she is overwhelmed by worms. Get her eating and drinking. I, personally, would wait a week and treat her with Wazine again. I know some will thing it's too soon, but this sounds like a bad situation right now. Then after that, I would wait 3 weeks and treat again. Your chicken may have alot of worms.

DE is not going to help you. DE is more of a preventative, not a treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, seminole wind! (great name, btw=). my hubby is part cherokee and also played ball for fsu back in the day, so i can appreciate your name on both levels=). was it the college or the tribe that inspired your name?) She is eating some, although i have no idea if it is less than normal. I'm also giving here green peas, which is one of her favorite treats, and she eats them right up. waiting a week in between Wazine sounds reasonable to me. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again!!

Hi. Peas is good. At times like this, I feed them whatever they want. It seems like the Wazine is working. When one of my chickens had bright green poop, I fed her until her poo changed color. She wasn't getting anything to eat because she had a impacted crop.

John Anderson had a song out "Blow, blow, Seminolewind...." when I moved here to Florida. That's where I got it from. I had no idea that the Seminoles are some team in Tampa!

The worms were stealing the nutrients from your hen resulting in the green poop. Your hen was starving. The wazine cleared out the large roundworms. You should provide you hen with scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for the next few days. The eggs are extra protein to help regain her strength and the buttermilk is a probiotic to help rebuild her immune system.
I recommend that you go to your feed store and purchase a broad spectrum wormer to get get rid of other types of worms in addition to large roundworms that have hatched since your first dosing using wazine. The tenth day after using the wazine, dose them with one of the following; safeguard equine paste, safeguard liquid goat wormer, or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. I dont recommend reworming with wazine again.

Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer is administered orally with a syringe (without needle.) Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get.
Safeguard equine paste (fenbendazole) is given orally. A "pea" size amount of paste given to each chicken. It's best to put it on a small piece of bread. Seperate your chickens and give them a piece of bread one at a time...if you dont, they will steal the bread from each other and you'll never know which ones got wormed.
Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) is given orally with a syringe (without needle.) Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards and 1/4cc for small chickens.
For each of these wormers, there is a 14 day withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom