Help! Wry neck or....?!

OhioGirl79

Hatching
Feb 22, 2018
New chicken mama here. Picked up our first 9 chicks on 2/13. One suffered from pasty butt and what seemed like wry neck. I separated her almost immediately and began vitamin E. Added in selenium and poly-vi-sol (no iron). She can eat and drink on her own (except when she spills her water - which she does frequently) but I still make sure to help her drink 2-4 times a day. Occasionally, I gently straighten her neck and tonight I felt a distinct curve and possible bump in her neck. It wasn't her crop - it was definitely in the vertebrae of her neck. She can move her head but it's as if her neck grew to the right instead of straight. So does that mean it's something different than wry neck? Any advice?

IMG_8419.JPG IMG_8420.JPG

New chicken mama here. Picked up our first 9 chicks on 2/13. One suffered from pasty butt and what seemed like wry neck. I separated her almost immediately and began vitamin E. Added in selenium and poly-vi-sol (no iron). She can eat and drink on her own (except when she spills her water - which she does frequently) but I still make sure to help her drink 2-4 times a day. Occasionally, I gently straighten her neck and tonight I felt a distinct curve and possible bump in her neck. It wasn't her crop - it was definitely in the vertebrae of her neck. She can move her head but it's as if her neck grew to the right instead of straight. So does that mean it's something different than wry neck? Any advice?

View attachment 1292608 View attachment 1292609
Some of my 3 day old chicks had pasty vent also and I followed advice of
1/2 teaspoon ACV/qt water for their drinking water, and to introduce first greens as chickweed, grass with small clump of sod. That worked like a charm, no pasty vent now at 7 days but one is showing wry neck tonight. He was fine this afternoon.

View attachment 1292608 View attachment 1292609
Looks like wry neck..the vitamins should help.
What are you feeding her?

Has this chick been suffering from wry neck for the entire four weeks you've had her? How long have you been treating it with the vitamin E?

If I'm understanding correctly, that the chick has not responded to the vitamin therapy in four weeks, wry neck should have been resolved by now, therefore, this condition is likely genetic and not reversible.

Has this chick been suffering from wry neck for the entire four weeks you've had her? How long have you been treating it with the vitamin E?

If I'm understanding correctly, that the chick has not responded to the vitamin therapy in four weeks, wry neck should have been resolved by now, therefore, this condition is likely genetic and not reversible.

Yes, she's been like this the whole time. When I feel her neck, I can feel the bones growing at a distinct angle to the right. She does move her head to the left periodically mainly to eat. She moves in a circle most of the time but sometimes in a straight line, can get up on the block with the water dish (thus knocking it down) and can move her head enough to eat and drink. When I give her food, she gets excited to eat and she often nestles in to me when I'm holding her. Any other thoughts?

Welcome! I'm sorry, but I agree with azygous. This chick isn't having a good life, and won't. It's time to let her go.
Mary

Ugh. I've been wondering this... We have three young children and I was hoping not to cull a bird this young (or at all, really). Is this something she can live with amongst the flock? Would the flock even accept her back?! I've read about some chickens living with physical ailments. Then again, I certainly don't want to prolong any pain she's enduring. Thanks for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom