Help! Yokohama Chicken Flew Away-what To Do

TENCHICKENS

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Hello all,

I have currently 7 Tetra tints, 3 bantam silkies. I went to a chicken swap this morning and bought two Yokohama chickens the same size as my Tetra's... I got home and was transferring into seperate kennel to familiarize them with the Tetras and one flapped out of my hands... Took off running and then flew into the woods. I have hunted birds for ten years including pheasants, and ruffed grouse, and let me tell you this chicken flew like the best of them.......

Now I clipped the wings of the other one and it is getting used to the Tetra's.... It kills me knowing a chicken unfamiliar with the area is in the woods somewhere. I looked and listened but could not hear or see it anywhere... It might have turned into foxbait now but what can I do to find it??? I also bought five rhode island red chicks and they are in a separate brooder...

Cut my losses or is there anything I can do? I tried carrying the single Yokohama into the woods and it was vocalizing but I could not hear the other one anywhere...

I have my fingers crossed that it will find its way back but its been almost an hour and I'm worried. Any tips or tricks? PLEASE HELP!

Bird never returned. I assume it was either a late dinner or an early breakfast for somebody. Its partner is doing well with the Tetras but does look lonely.

sorry for you but don't give up hope, it might come back yet
idunno.gif

Her partner is being quiet, I believe she is a bit content with the Tetra's but she just looks lonely being the only brown chicken in with ten white/yellow ones. I bought (5) one week old RIR chicks so once they are grown a bit they will help with the "sore thumb effect" adding some more color to the flock. The Tetras and the Yokohama roosted together last night they seem to be getting accustomed. I still have my fingers crossed that the other one will come back. I was hoping when I returned from work last night that it would be roosted on the chicken coop but no luck.

I was told they are yokohamas but I'm not 100% sure as I've looked online and it doesnt look like those ones. Mine are brown with some mixed white/tan feathers. May be a cross. I don't mind what kind they are as they were nice looking chickens.

Sorry for your loss. It's so discouraging when birds vanish into thin air. If she flies as well as you say then there is still a chance she might show back up.

I just had a duck disappear over the weekend. She ended up coming back 24 hours later. I thought she was snatched like 2 of my other birds have been recently. I was just about giddy with relief when she appeared. I am still not sure how my duck survived being out in the open all night. I was sure she was gone for good.

Still no sign of the "flying pheasant". Her friend has adapted well to the others in the pen. Not sure what it means but one of the Silkie Bantams was bumping chests with her a little bit. The chickens are all out in the runs now so hopefully they will make some noise and attract the missing one. It hasn't worked so far but I'm holding out hope. I heard something this morning that sounded like a chicken, crying. When I heard it all of the chickens in the pen STOPPED what they were doing (eating and peeping) and all stuck their heads up in the air and didnt budge an inch. Will chickens do this for other types of birds or do you think this may be the missing chicken?

My chickens do that when the hawk screeches. Did you see if you could find the sound? We are surrounded by woods and I can imagine how fruitless it must feel for you to go searching, but you never know, especially if you have experience bird hunting. I don't suppose you have older kiddos who would love to go tromping through the woods in search of a chicken?

Wow- This EXACT thing happened to me a month or so ago. I had just bought a Red Shouldered Yoko pair, was transferring the hen, and she flew up and away, just like a pheasant. I spent many hours over the next few days looking for her. It was really disappointing and frustrating. I found her three days later, tried to catch her at night when she roosted, but only scared her off. I found a small pile of feathers the next morning. I still feel terrible. I wish you much luck in finding her- she may be out there, as they can fly up and roost in trees at night. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom