HELP! YOLK SAC MAYBE? RED LIGHT BLOODY NAVEL?!

Saika

Chirping
Jan 30, 2021
This is my first successful hatching but one of the chicks came out with a small amount of unabsorbed yolk sac? I wasn’t able to get to it fast enough and it removed it and I’m wondering if I should be concerned. The chick is doing pretty much fine it’s moving around nicely but it’s navel is slightly red still.

so should I be concerned for it?
And what are things I can do to help it heal?

Here’s some pictures of the sac and the chick from when it hatched I did remove the chick to a much softer incubator floor so it could still dry off and then the metal bottom didn’t irritate its navel

No worries, the gelatin looking stuff looks like egg waste to me. Most of the time it stays in the shell but occasionally it comes out stuck to the chick and will fall off or can be knocked off easily. It does look like the chick has a small herniation on the umbilical area. This may finish closing properly as the chick dries since it's quite small.

Here’s some pictures of the sac and the chick from when it hatched I did remove the chick to a much softer incubator floor so it could still dry off and then the metal bottom didn’t irritate its navel

Attachments

• D47CAC1B-DCD4-4939-ADFB-BD2E083B3926.png
    D47CAC1B-DCD4-4939-ADFB-BD2E083B3926.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 49B6D7C9-DDC2-4BCD-B334-5A239F232102.png
    49B6D7C9-DDC2-4BCD-B334-5A239F232102.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 31
Well I would keep a close eye on your chick.
did it hatch early?
what breed?
I would give it electrolytes and probitics for water and high protein chick feed.
Make sure that no poop gets stuck to it or you will end up with pasty butt.If you do end up with pasty buff put a warm soak rag of towel on it to loosen up the hard poop.
Make sure to do it daily
Oh and the breed is a mix breed but it hatched from an americana egg

No worries, the gelatin looking stuff looks like egg waste to me. Most of the time it stays in the shell but occasionally it comes out stuck to the chick and will fall off or can be knocked off easily. It does look like the chick has a small herniation on the umbilical area. This may finish closing properly as the chick dries since it's quite small.
Thats good 🥳 we will see then hopefully it does٫ if it doesn't will i be able to help it by putting some antibiotics for poultry animals on it to help it heal?

Too high of humidity causes that. It can also be from too high of temp and chicks hatching early. In general my last to hatch from a batch typically still have yolk sac attached. This is due to the spike in humidity as the bulk of the hatchlings emerge. So the ones that hatch a day late are still attached to the unabsorbed yolk sack.

If my birds are hatching during the day and have time I'll take them out with shells as they hatch to keep humidity from spiking up to 80% and beyond. That solves my problem for late bloomers.

Ya the thermometer was calibrated٫ and im not sure what it is i think its forced air٫ also good needs just checked the chicks and the little button did heal 🥳

I'm glad to hear they're progressing well! :hugs I suspect the incubator might be one fo the yellow top China-bators and they have a tendency to fluctuate in temps quite a lot. They aren't the most reliable incubators unfortunately. There are things that can be done to try to keep the temps more stable, such as using the styrofoam that comes in the shipping box as an insulator but if that's what you're using it's not due to anything you did wrong with the hatch that would have caused this. It's the incubator itself and the unstable fluctuations.

I'm glad to hear they're progressing well! :hugs I suspect the incubator might be one fo the yellow top China-bators and they have a tendency to fluctuate in temps quite a lot. They aren't the most reliable incubators unfortunately. There are things that can be done to try to keep the temps more stable, such as using the styrofoam that comes in the shipping box as an insulator but if that's what you're using it's not due to anything you did wrong with the hatch that would have caused this. It's the incubator itself and the unstable fluctuations.
Yes its one of the chines ones٫ I've had it for 2 years now i tried hatching ducks last year but i wasn't fully aware of how to do it then my aunt got the same incubator with luck she was getting about a Pretty good % so far I've had a little over 50% hatch. At the time its what i could afford I plan to get a better incubator. Out of 26 eggs I've so far had 14 chicks hatch and still a few are trying
14/26 which i find pretty good for the first time 😁

Back
Top Bottom