HELP young hen bleeding from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lyndssxo08, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Lyndssxo08

Lyndssxo08 Songster

May 3, 2018
    Purcellville, VA
    My Coop
    I found my youngest hen today when I came home bleeding from her vent (see pictures) and a yellow mucas hanging out. Ive noticed our goose has been picking at her tail feathers lately. She’s not as active as she usually is but still seems to be eating fine and everything. I didn’t find a broken or bloody egg ( I don’t even think she’s laying yet) but can anyone help me? I don’t want to lose her

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Did you wash her off real good and check for wounds?

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Do you have male ducks?

4. Table4Six

Table4Six Free Ranging

May 22, 2012
    FL
    Looks like a prolapsed vent, give her a soak in warm water with epsom salts and definitely check for any obvious wounds.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

5. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    How old is she? I would think that yellow mucus you mentioned is egg yolk, the others would have been pecking at it hence the bleeding. She needs to be brought inside where it's warm, bathed in epsom salt bath to help her pass as much of this as she can, and you will need to check inside her vent for egg shell which is possibly broken inside her. It's important you do this as soon as possible as infection can set in quickly. Put some lubricant on a gloved finger, insert gently into the vent and feel around for broken egg shell and remove all of it. You will then need to apply an antibiotic ointment if on hand. Make sure she has access to water and that she is drinking it, she needs to stay hydrated.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bottom line is that she needs to be separated from the goose forever and from the rest of the flock until her vent is healed. Hopefully it is nothing more than pecking damage.

7. Lyndssxo08

Lyndssxo08 Songster

May 3, 2018
    Purcellville, VA
    My Coop
    She hatched the middle of June. I have her inside right now under some heat and once I’m done feeding the rear of the animals and have them locked up I’ll go ahead and wash her off and soak her in some water with salt. Could I use pink salt? I don’t have epsom salt currently

webbysmeme likes this.
  8. Lyndssxo08

Lyndssxo08 Songster

May 3, 2018
    Purcellville, VA
    My Coop
    I also found this bloody egg outside the coop in the mud which is out of the ordinary.

9. Lyndssxo08

Lyndssxo08 Songster

May 3, 2018
    Purcellville, VA
    My Coop

Attached Files:

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is hard to tell if that is a prolapsed vent or vent pecking, but a prolapse will invite pecking due to the red tissue that sticks out with a prolapse. A prolapsed vent can happen by itself or along with a stuck egg. Since there is yellow mucus coming out, it may well be a broken egg or shell-less egg. Shell-less eggs are harder to pass than hard shells. I agree with soaking her bottom in a shallow warm bath inside where it is warm for 15-20 minutes once a day to keep her vent clean and help it heal. Apply honey, oil, or cream to her vent area to keep the ted tissue moist so the prolapse doesn’t dry out. That leads to tissue death. Plain Neosporin may be best for the injured skin and prolapse at first to help prevent infection. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Baytril can be used to help prevent infection inside the oviduct if an egg broke inside.

webbysmeme, Wyorp Rock and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: