HELP young hen bleeding from vent

It is hard to tell if that is a prolapsed vent or vent pecking, but a prolapse will invite pecking due to the red tissue that sticks out with a prolapse. A prolapsed vent can happen by itself or along with a stuck egg. Since there is yellow mucus coming out, it may well be a broken egg or shell-less egg. Shell-less eggs are harder to pass than hard shells. I agree with soaking her bottom in a shallow warm bath inside where it is warm for 15-20 minutes once a day to keep her vent clean and help it heal. Apply honey, oil, or cream to her vent area to keep the ted tissue moist so the prolapse doesn’t dry out. That leads to tissue death. Plain Neosporin may be best for the injured skin and prolapse at first to help prevent infection. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Baytril can be used to help prevent infection inside the oviduct if an egg broke inside.
Here is an updated picture after soaking her in water. It doesn’t look much better. Thank you so much for your help by the way!

Attachments

• C83A4D39-3E0D-4EB2-8C3C-C6FEF2492B6E.jpeg
    C83A4D39-3E0D-4EB2-8C3C-C6FEF2492B6E.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 13
That looks better. I don’t see a real prolapse but a lot of trauma. There is a cut on her lower belly right of center in the pic, that I would put some antibiotic ointment on.
Okay that’s good news! I’ll go ahead and put some neosporin on it and her vent. Any other tips? I have some avian calcium powder I can put in her food if that helps! She keeps squatting like she’s about to poop and I hear a noise but then she doesn’t - there’s just a little bit of whitish yellowish “goo” around her vent area. Should I be worried about that?

Can you put a disposable glove on and insert a finger inside her vent as Cragg earlier suggested, to feel for egg material or a stuck egg? I don’t know the dosage of your calcium tablet, but 600 mg is the same as a calcium tablet. You could sprinkle it on a little egg or yogurt if she likes that.

Can you put a disposable glove on and insert a finger inside her vent as Cragg earlier suggested, to feel for egg material or a stuck egg? I don’t know the dosage of your calcium tablet, but 600 mg is the same as a calcium tablet. You could sprinkle it on a little egg or yogurt if she likes that.
That looks better. I don’t see a real prolapse but a lot of trauma. There is a cut on her lower belly right of center in the pic, that I would put some antibiotic ointment on.

I can’t seem to feel anything she keeps squatting and the vent seems to be even more irritated.

Back
Top Bottom