help!!!

Tomorrow is day 18 for me going into lock down but do have a staggard hatch so debating on what route to go three eggs where put in and four days later my shipped eggs arrived 18 more went in out of 21 eggs 19 are looking good

Well the Lil guy didn't make it. That will never happen again. I will be getting multiple humidity readers.
Just calibrate what you have. You could buy a dozen, and they all could be off.

Tomorrow is day 18 for me going into lock down but do have a staggard hatch so debating on what route to go three eggs where put in and four days later my shipped eggs arrived 18 more went in out of 21 eggs 19 are looking good
You can wait till internal pip on the early ones before boosting the humidity. I'd put a divider so they don't drag their egg goo all over the late entries. If you put the late entries in egg cartons, you could even do a quick wipe down of the bator after the early hatches to keep your bacteria load down. (or you could otherwise contain the early ones to make clean up super easy. My biggest concern about staggered hatches is the bacteria soup left behind by the early hatches!

Well the Lil guy didn't make it. That will never happen again. I will be getting multiple humidity readers.
Sorry to hear that. Air cells when they draw down will look huge sometimes, but he was quite late too, so you have 3 ish extra days of moisture loss as well. The farther you get away from the "hatch day" the probability of a healthy chick hatching declines on the average.
Do you know how to salt test your hygrometer?

Sorry to hear that. Air cells when they draw down will look huge sometimes, but he was quite late too, so you have 3 ish extra days of moisture loss as well. The farther you get away from the "hatch day" the probability of a healthy chick hatching declines on the average.
Do you know how to salt test your hygrometer?

I do now. I Google it. My next batch I will make sure everything is calibrated. I am definitely learning alot as I go. I just hate that it may be at the expense of a chick.

I do now. I Google it. My next batch I will make sure everything is calibrated. I am definitely learning alot as I go. I just hate that it may be at the expense of a chick.
Chances are that chick would have had the same outcome regardless of what you did or didn't do so don't beat yourself up. My first hatch I lost 16/17 developing babies because I didn't realize even brand new thermometers should be tested. (Mine was unknowingly 6 degrees off.) I learned a valuable lesson, but felt like crap. BUT it made me take a second look at how and what I was doing and made me that much better for all the rest and knock on wood, I haven't had a bad hatch since.

Very seldom do hatchers get steady back to back 100% hatches, many don't see 100%. Usually there's a least a couple chicks that for some unforseen reason didn't make it and we just have give ourselves the peace that we can't provide each egg/chick with the perfect conditions for growth and hatching because of the variables. It is hard though knowing that they made it to "hatch" and couldn't finish the job.

Just calibrate what you have.  You could buy a dozen, and they all could be off.

You can wait till internal pip on the early ones before boosting the humidity.  I'd put a divider so they don't drag their egg goo all over the late entries.  If you put the late entries in egg cartons, you could even do a quick wipe down of the bator after the early hatches to keep your bacteria load down.  (or you could otherwise contain the early ones to make clean up super easy.  My biggest concern about staggered hatches is the bacteria soup left behind by the early hatches!
. I did put them in egg cartons for late entries and put the first ones in a container but havent pipped yet believe they are on day 20 have a brooder set up for them and after they zip will move to brooder set at same temp fingers crossed

heres a pic of eggs in cartoons and the earlier ones in small container to help keep bacteria down I hope others on day 19 now should be ok nothing happening yet do see earlier eggs moving sometimes

Back
Top Bottom