1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by prestonmc27, Oct 28, 2015.

1. prestonmc27

prestonmc27 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    We have chicks eggs hatching. One has hatched and the other started this morning, the one that started this morning hasn't made any progress in 5 hours is that normal? Or did it die? This is the first time we have done chicks before.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Give it more time. Frequently chicks will rest a bit after pipping.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with sourland that you need to give them more time. 5 hours is nothing for a chock to be pipped and not hatched. While they are pipped they have oxygen but need to do a whole lot more before they actually hatch. They have the yolk and blood vessels to absorb and they also rest a lot before the final push to zip and hatch. Hatching is very hard work for them. Some could be up to 24 hours before they hatch some may be sooner, each chick is individual and different.

Good luck with your hatch and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

I have two in the incubator who started hatching and after 24 hours they still haven't hit the floor a running .....

That takes some time and yes I have had some out of the shell in less then an hour but for the most part it takes some time and this time of year they seem to move slower and in the spring they seem to just jump right out of the shell ...........

7. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG] Hi! Welcome!
    No, that is perfectly normal. I have had eggs take a day from pip to zip. Just make sure the humidity and temperature in your incubator is fine, and you are set. Hope you have a great hatch! :)

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, good luck with your hatch!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by