Help!

chelsabb15

Hatching
Oct 28, 2015
Is there a way to keep my chickens from getting pasty butt?? Seems like every time I clean them off it gets worse!

I recently rescued some babies with HORRIBLE pasty butt. I used warm water, washed it all off of them, dried them good, then I put creamy petroleum jelly all over their entire backside to keep anything else from sticking to them. Don't be scared to cover a large area and don't be scared that you used too much, they do a good job of wiping most of it off. I would use triple antibiotic ointment at least once a day at first, but that is because their skin was just destroyed from all the poop that was stuck to them.

I don't know how bad your babies skin looks, but if you just want the poop to stop sticking to their rears I would use the creamy petroleum jelly. I say creamy because it is a lot easier to smear on than regular. I used a q-tip for each one. I applied it very generously. Like they had big goops of white on their butts. They were super greasy too, but there was no poop sticking to them. At first I had to apply it about 3 times a day, then I went to twice a day for a few more days and after about a week they were good.

As far as why your babies have pasty butt, I am not an expert at that, but I can at least help you keep the poop off their butts!

Is there a way to keep my chickens from getting pasty butt?? Seems like every time I clean them off it gets worse!
Are these young chicks you are talking about? Pasty butt is usually found in chicks less than a week old, and mostly happens due to dehydration in shipping or too much heat in the brooder. I have noticed it usually goes away at the end of the first week with gentle washing it off with soap and warm water, and re-checking it in 24 hours.

Not sure how old they are. Got them from a feed store.

Those are just a few days old. I've never seen pasty butt after 10 days. Make sure that their water never gets filled up with shavings since they can become dehydrated quickly. You can raise the waterer up to shoulder height with a 1 or 2 inch board, and raise it as they grow. A drop of veg oil or vaseline on the vent opening make help.

It also looks like your box is wet along the edges. That will make your chicks sick very quickly. Not only from the dampness, but mold. I take old discarded hardcover books and cover them with alum. foil to set my waterers on. As they get older, just use thicker books or stack them. If they get dirty, trash the old alum, cover with fresh. Good luck.

They are now in a wire cage. They were soaking their boxes every few minutes. I don't know what to do should I put pine shavings in the wore cage or no?

It also looks like your box is wet along the edges. That will make your chicks sick very quickly. Not only from the dampness, but mold. I take old discarded hardcover books and cover them with alum. foil to set my waterers on. As they get older, just use thicker books or stack them. If they get dirty, trash the old alum, cover with fresh. Good luck.

They are now in a wire cage. They were soaking their boxes every few minutes. I don't know what to do should I put pine shavings in the wore cage or no?
Yes, wrap something they can't eat or get thru around the bottom 6 inches of the wire cage to keep the chips inside. Then lay in several inches of chips. Raise the feeders and waterers like the other poster said. The chicks need firm footing, not a slick surface. A slick surface leek newspaper can cause them to develop crooked legs.
Best,
Karen

Yes, wrap something they can't eat or get thru around the bottom 6 inches of the wire cage to keep the chips inside. Then lay in several inches of chips. Raise the feeders and waterers like the other poster said. The chicks need firm footing, not a slick surface. A slick surface leek newspaper can  cause them to develop crooked legs.
Best,
 Karen

They seem to love their cage. And it's small square chicken wire. I raised their waterers to see how that goes. Seems to be well.

Back
Top Bottom