Help!

hmg1

Hatching
Jul 28, 2016
I'm new to this hatching thing so I've been haunting this site a lot. My question is that I have 3 eggs that pipped yesterday. One pipped the wrong end and I think I post him. The other 2 hatched out last night fine. I have 3 eggs that were rocking and peeping yesterday afternoon and evening. Bit this morning all is quiet. And no pips. When I candle I can't even find the airsack. Is there still hope? Can anyone tell me what's going on? They're Rhode Island Reds today will be day 22.

You posted in the right spot! What color are the eggs? And what are you using to candle? You should use a small LED flashlight with new batteries. Hold the light on the fat end of the egg, in a dark room if you need too. Check and see how big the air cell is and tap the fat end of the egg with your finger nail and listen closely for peeping or tapping. If you are sure the egg was peeping yesterday and you hear nothing today, after you candle you can make a small hole and see if the chick died. Did the chick that was malpositioned and pipped at the wrong end hatch?

The eggs are brown, and I had been able to see air sacks clearly until today. Obviously I hadn't candles since Day 18. There is no question that at least 2 were alive yesterday. We got entertained watching them rock n roll!

Hey i just joined but i have a question sorry to get off topic....but is it possible to hatch diffrent size eggs together

The eggs are brown, and I had been able to see air sacks clearly until today. Obviously I hadn't candles since Day 18. There is no question that at least 2 were alive yesterday. We got entertained watching them rock n roll!

The only thing that I'm thinking is that the chicks were internally pipped and therefore broke through the membrane and are positioned in the air cell and that's why you're not able to make out the air cell. If the eggs are totally silent today then I would make a very small hole in the air cell and check to see if they are still alive.

Hey i just joined but i have a question sorry to get off topic....but is it possible to hatch diffrent size eggs together

You absolutely can but larger eggs may need less humidity then smaller eggs. That can be a problem if one size is needing higher humidity while the other is needing lower. Besides that I can't think of any other challenges with size differences and incubating them together.

Ok thanks. I did recandle them and by angling the light more was able to see aircells. At least 1 looks pipped to me. Still try to make a small hole in the aircell?

Another question. I thought I lost my malpositioned chick, but discovered it was still alive but making no progress. It's been over 24 hr, and from what I see of it's efforts she must be positioned so that she can't pip more. I've been chipping away the shell slowly, leaving the membrane in tact and even while I can see she tries to pip the membrane it has not changed from the original pip. What do I do? I've been studying the malpositioned chicks assist page pretty heavily, but I still feel rather lost!
(She is chirping more than this morning and her beak is right at the pip hole even though I don't see it except when she sticks it out)

Ok thanks. I did recandle them and by angling the light more was able to see aircells. At least 1 looks pipped to me. Still try to make a small hole in the aircell?

Another question. I thought I lost my malpositioned chick, but discovered it was still alive but making no progress. It's been over 24 hr, and from what I see of it's efforts she must be positioned so that she can't pip more. I've been chipping away the shell slowly, leaving the membrane in tact and even while I can see she tries to pip the membrane it has not changed from the original pip. What do I do? I've been studying the malpositioned chicks assist page pretty heavily, but I still feel rather lost!
(She is chirping more than this morning and her beak is right at the pip hole even though I don't see it except when she sticks it out)

You need to assist the malpositioned one, most likely. Use a moistened q-tip to check the inner membrane. Stay clear of the beak/nostrils. You want to see if that inner membrane still has active veins in it. If it does then the chick is not ready and you can keep checking every 3-6 hours or so. I would face the pip up so you can monitor the chick and make sure it's still chirping and getting oxygen. Malpositions take longer. Have you read the assist guide? I'll add a link. Also there is a thread I am on that helps talk people through assists. I'll leave a link for that too.

As for the other egg, if you hear no chirping and there is no external pip then most likely it is dead in shell..DIS. I would make a small hole just incase it's still alive and check. It needs oxygen if it is alive.

Assist guide:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Assist help thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/6450#post_17342677

You need to assist the malpositioned one, most likely. Use a moistened q-tip to check the inner membrane. Stay clear of the beak/nostrils. You want to see if that inner membrane still has active veins in it. If it does then the chick is not ready and you can keep checking every 3-6 hours or so. I would face the pip up so you can monitor the chick and make sure it's still chirping and getting oxygen. Malpositions take longer. Have you read the assist guide? I'll add a link. Also there is a thread I am on that helps talk people through assists. I'll leave a link for that too.

As for the other egg, if you hear no chirping and there is no external pip then most likely it is dead in shell..DIS. I would make a small hole just incase it's still alive and check. It needs oxygen if it is alive.

Assist guide:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Assist help thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/6450#post_17342677

Thank you for your help! This is a great resource. Thank you BYC. Just wanted to let you know what happened with my chicks. I did open the 3 silent ones. All were malpositioned and pipped inside. 2 already dead l, one died soon after. The chick that pipped wrong end finally hatched out 44 hours later with help. His position was so twisted he never would have gotten out on his own. Despite his hard row, he seems to be doing fine and is resting but acting very normal. He wins a medal for being a fighter! I gave up hope for him so many times!

Back
Top Bottom