Help!

Sancharosa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I had 17 chicks delivered on Friday, June 1 it's now Sunday June 3 and we have lost 6 chicks. I've never ordered from a hatchery before so I am unsure if this is the norm. The chicks have food(chick starter) water and a heat lamp. What could be causing the loss of what appeared to be happy healthy chicks.

What is your brooder setup like? Do they have room to get out of the heat? What are you feeding them? What are the symptoms before they pass?

What is your brooder setup like? Do they have room to get out of the heat? What are you feeding them? What are the symptoms before they pass?
We use a plastic kiddie pool with sand bedding ( I was told sand was better than wood shavings this is my first time using it) it is large enough that one side is not in the heat lamp at all. We are feeding 19% organic chick starter crumble. The chicks start out normal, active then they act very tired wings start to droop then they are gone.

I reread your initial post. I wasn't completely paying attention the first time (I was out and about) and was under the mistaken impression you had had them for several days.

Seems they have some shipping stress. I'd add some poultry nutri-drench to their water to hopefully perk them up. What breeds did you get? Did the losses happen with any particular breed?

Light brahma, jersey giant and a rare breed mix. The loss has been across the board.

Are you checking them for pasty butt?
Are you adding anything to the water---apple cider vinegar, probiotics, electrolyte solution (Sav-A-Chick)?
I am no expert by any means but I feel so bad for you!! Hope your other little peeps are doing okay. :(

I haven't added anything too the water, and I have checked for pasty butt and they have been fine. I'll add some electrolytes to the water. Thank you for the help, I don't think I'll ship chicks again.

Add a tablespoon or two of sugar to a quart waterer.this boosts there system and gives energy.
I do this because I don't know what's in the electrolytes chemicals and such and we had one die from the electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom