Help!!!

I don't think you should have done that she was probably broody anyway she way have been sick anyway
She was not broody and never has been. She stood under the coop and would not sit, probably because she was in so much pain.
She has not layed since this. People said she was laying internally. Thankyou for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.. my friend had a chicken who had maggots in her abdomen below the vent in the middle near ger legs..we tried the best we could, but they had burrowed into the cut so deep it was in her intestines.. nobody ever noticed the cut unto the night before, and by that time maggots had already gotten in so deep she had to be put down.... nobody knows how deep the original cut was or if there even was a cut.. it was just a giant, almost golfball sized hole in her.. it was horrible.. I'm sorry for what happened to your bird... :'(

I'm so sorry for your loss.. my friend had a chicken who had maggots in her abdomen below the vent in the middle near ger legs..we tried the best we could, but they had burrowed into the cut so deep it was in her intestines.. nobody ever noticed the cut unto the night before, and by that time maggots had already gotten in so deep she had to be put down.... nobody knows how deep the original cut was or if there even was a cut.. it was just a giant, almost golfball sized hole in her.. it was horrible.. I'm sorry for what happened to your bird... :'(
Sorry to hear that!

Thank you. I put her down last night.
She was definitely suffering. She would not roost in the coop and she would not sit for the last few days. Her abdomen was getting bigger and she was not eating. I couldn't stand watching her suffer. I had this happen with a quail and she died after she did what the chicken did. She was a great layer and friend. Thankyou for all the replies :hit
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the best thing you could for her. It's never easy, but sometimes there is no choice.
I don't think you should have done that she was probably broody anyway she way have been sick anyway
Please don't ever tell someone they should not have put down a suffering chicken. No one takes that lightly, but sometimes that is the kindest thing you can do for your chicken. We can't know exactly what condition the chicken was in, since we didn't see her. I trust the OP's judgement.

Sorry for your loss but, good for you, the hardest part about chickeneering is performing euthanasia when nothing can be done. Any condition causing a swollen belly is rarely curable. I've had to put down a few due to that.
What Aart said.

I am so sorry for your loss. Euthanizing an animal, especially a pet, is never easy or taken lightly. You did everything you could for her. Ending her suffering through euthanasia was your final act of kindness and love.

Back
Top Bottom