help!!

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
I have a two day old little chick with messed up legs. We had put him in braces for a day and one of his legs is straight but the other isn't and he screams every time he touch it, he now has stopped eating and drinking and is sneezing. Is he going to die? Is there anything we can do to help him? He can't walk and he won't stop peeping...

I'm sorry about your chick:hugs

Do you have photos of the legs?

Some leg issues in tiny chicks can be hard to correct. Will he eat/drink if you help him?
The screaming everytime he is touched and the constant peeping, to me, sound like he is in pain. Do what you can to make him comfortable and get him hydrated.

I'm sorry about your chick:hugs

Do you have photos of the legs?

Some leg issues in tiny chicks can be hard to correct. Will he eat/drink if you help him?
The screaming everytime he is touched and the constant peeping, to me, sound like he is in pain. Do what you can to make him comfortable and get him hydrated.
Would it be his best option if we put him down? He seems hydrated but he won't eat nor will he eat...

Tough decision.
If I have a chick that is deformed to the point it can't eat, drink, or move on it's own after a few days, it's easier in the long run to put it down sooner rather than waiting and watching it suffer.

Can you post some pics of chicks legs?

Tough decision.
If I have a chick that is deformed to the point it can't eat, drink, or move on it's own after a few days, it's easier in the long run to put it down sooner rather than waiting and watching it suffer.

Can you post some pics of chicks legs?
how does someone put down a chick?

Hi! I had a chick that had deformed legs too, and this is what I did:
I mashed up the chick feed and added water to it to make it mushy; it encouraged Toddle (the chick's name) to eat. I don't know why, but all my chickens are crazy about mushy feed mixed with water. When you mix it with the water, it can also get the water into your chick's system. I didn't put a brace on Toddle; maybe I should have, but I was a newbie then. :) (Maybe your chick has Mareks; post a pic of his/her legs) you might also want to feed him/her separately, for in my experience, The other chicks will hog the mashed feed. I hope you found this helpful! :)

Back
Top Bottom