Help

Ibchduckin

Chirping
Jun 14, 2016
I just found one of my hens in the nesting box, but she was not laying, I picked her up to check her out and found that her eyes were closed. She just sits with her head down. I am not sure when the last time she has eaten or had any water, but I just don't know what to do. This is my very first sick chicken! Help Please

Some things to check and some questions:
How old is this hen?
Do you know when she last laid an egg? Check for egg binding, insert a gloved, lubed finger into her vent about 1.5 inches to see if you feel an egg.
Any discharge from eyes, nose, or beak.
Check her over thoroughly for lice/mites. https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
How is her weight? Is the keel bone very prominent or does she seem normal weight?
Has she ever been wormed or had a fecal test done?
Feel her abdomen between the legs and below the vent, is there any bloating, either firm or water balloon like? Compare with another bird if necessary.
Is she pooping and what do the droppings look like?
How does her crop feel, empty, hard, squishy? Check it first thing in the morning before feeding her to make sure it's empty.
Make sure there are no hidden wounds on her anywhere.
See if you can get her to drink, dip her beak, or use a syringe and put no more than 1/2cc at a time in the front of her beak and let her swallow. If you've got some nutri-drench give her some of that also. You need to make sure she's drinking and hydrated before trying to feed.
I would crate her where you can monitor her until you figure out what is going on, hopefully the answers to some of these questions will help narrow things down.

Back
Top Bottom