chickenlovergoatmother

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2018
My chicken (unknown-mixed breed) that I recently rescued has always appeared in perfect health but this morning she started limping. She still has her appetite and she’s still sassy as ever, I thought she might have Bumblefoot and looked for all the tale-tell signs and didn’t see anything after doing a quick google search it seemed she may have just jumped from a high roost and fallen wrong and hurt her leg that way. I soaked her in Epsom salt just to where the feathers met her leg. Afterwards as I was looking her over again I found this, I have no idea what it is. I immediately gave her a small dosage of an antibiotic and put an antibacterial ointment made for chickens on it, it still looks like this. Can anybody help me??? It’s hard as a rock.
0FE34491-4B54-4931-A5A4-B2326A8981FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Where is this wound located exactly on her body. Can you look closely to see if there are any maggots crawling on this wound (flystrike?) It looks like it could be a wound or a tumor. I would soak her again in warm Epsom salts or soapy water with a little Betadine or Chlorhexidene. Then apply plain neosporin ointment—only if you see no maggots. If there are maggots, get all of them off, and get some Vetericyn wound spray at your feed store to use twice daily. If there is flystrike (maggots,) it will need soaking 2-3 more times over today and tomorrow to get any further maggots out. So far I don’t see any in the picture. Sometimes a rooster can cause a wound with spurs, or a hawk or a raccoon can cause a similar wound. Feather cysts may also cause an abscess.

Where is this wound located exactly on her body. Can you look closely to see if there are any maggots crawling on this wound (flystrike?) It looks like it could be a wound or a tumor. I would soak her again in warm Epsom salts or soapy water with a little Betadine or Chlorhexidene. Then apply plain neosporin ointment—only if you see no maggots. If there are maggots, get all of them off, and get some Vetericyn wound spray at your feed store to use twice daily.
It is on her lower back right on the right side, there are no maggots. How often should I do the baths?

I editied my first thread with more info if you read it. I would repeat the bath once a day, and after 15-20 minutes, I would dry it and then apply the antibiotic ointment. Vetericyn Wound Spray is good to use before applying the ointment twice a day.

Let us know how she gets along. I would like to know if you think this is a wound, absess, or a tumor. Give us an update later or tomorrow if you can.
Sadly, she passed away this morning. My mom and a few other people that have taken a look at her believed it to be a tumor. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom