HELP!!

My guess is the fox. Another poster lost a similar number recently and it turned out the fox was trying to bury them in her neighbors compost pile for later. It's likely a mama with young to feed!

Is electric fencing or netting an option for you? Again, I'm so, so sorry!:hugs
Thank you for your reply, I hate to confine them because they are used to having the whole place to themselves. Also my coop isn’t in a spot where I could put a run big enough for them.

M
LOL Well, knowing the eagles have their own family to feed I'm not interested in hurting them, but I do want to protect my chickens. They will have to find their food elsewhere.

I don't know what happened to the OP on this thread. We still don't know if the chickens in question were free ranging or not, which alters what type of predator might be involved.
My hens are free range but stay close to my house. I am just confused as to why something would come close to my house during that day!

Thank you for your reply, I hate to confine them because they are used to having the whole place to themselves. Also my coop isn’t in a spot where I could put a run big enough for them.

Help me understand; were they stolen from the coop or the yard? Do you leave your coop open at night for self free ranging come morning? No judgement, I used to do the same, just trying to get an idea of your set up to help offer suggestions.

Mine free range but are locked up tight at night. Daytime predators are few and we've adjusted as best as can but it's an ongoing risk I take everyday.

Help me understand; were they stolen from the coop or the yard? Do you leave your coop open at night for self free ranging come morning? No judgement, I used to do the same, just trying to get an idea of your set up to help offer suggestions.

Mine free range but are locked up tight at night. Daytime predators are few and we've adjusted as best as can but it's an ongoing risk I take everyday.
My hens and ducks free range during the day and then get counted and secured tightly at night. I have never had a problem with something getting them during the day. The only problems I have experienced were inside of the coop at night when I had forgotten to shut the door.( only 2 times) I know that is wasn’t in the coop because there are no feathers in the coop and I also have 15 2 1/2 month old hens that are in a separate pen that are almost ready to let out(not anytime soon unsless we get to the bottom of this) and they are PERFECTLY FINE. Nothing, absolutely nothing is wrong with them. The feathers of the birds that are missing are in piles in various areas of my fields and near me house, which also makes me think that it was done outside. One last think is that the chickens that I did find( dead or alive) were found in my field and by my neighbors and I houses. Thank you for trying to help.

Hi, so sorry for your loss, i know there are a lot of mixed replies, on what done this.
However it sounds like it was a fox. Especially if you have seen one, hanging around.
Like the saying goes, (SLY AS A FOX) and boy they are sly, also clever and very daring.
If they are out for food, to feed their cubs, then day/night if they see the chance, they will
risk it. A fox wiped 16 of ours out, only because i had not locked them up, this one night. Although we live in UK in a small village, i bred them 7yrs before, did not even know we had foxes. We learn"t the hard way. He got over a 6ft wall, it was horrific to
see. But where my girls were heavy, he could not get them back over. They were everywhere, even in the coop, he left them all over the place. Every night for 7yr
i locked their coops, bar for that one night. It was heartbreaking to see. We have all been there, on here. Like i said, the only threat we have are foxes, here. I hope you get
the blighter. Is there a way, you can move your coop, to a place, where you can build
a run. Even though it is only foxes we have, our new coop + run, has also an enclosed roof. Plus, i lock their coops every night, As i never ever want to go through that again.
My heart goes out to you, and i hope you sort it. :love

Hi, so sorry for your loss, i know there are a lot of mixed replies, on what done this.
However it sounds like it was a fox. Especially if you have seen one, hanging around.
Like the saying goes, (SLY AS A FOX) and boy they are sly, also clever and very daring.
If they are out for food, to feed their cubs, then day/night if they see the chance, they will
risk it. A fox wiped 16 of ours out, only because i had not locked them up, this one night. Although we live in UK in a small village, i bred them 7yrs before, did not even know we had foxes. We learn"t the hard way. He got over a 6ft wall, it was horrific to
see. But where my girls were heavy, he could not get them back over. They were everywhere, even in the coop, he left them all over the place. Every night for 7yr
i locked their coops, bar for that one night. It was heartbreaking to see. We have all been there, on here. Like i said, the only threat we have are foxes, here. I hope you get
the blighter. Is there a way, you can move your coop, to a place, where you can build
a run. Even though it is only foxes we have, our new coop + run, has also an enclosed roof. Plus, i lock their coops every night, As i never ever want to go through that again.
My heart goes out to you, and i hope you sort it. :love
Thank you so much for your though! I’ll see what I can do, and hopefully stop the little sucker.

Back
Top Bottom