help?!?!?!

I put hardware cloth under the wood floor (which is elevated a little from the dirt). I also have a hardware cloth apron around my coop. I don't know that that helps, but I was in the same boat. Not a lot of time nor money. I used what I had at the time.

so hardware cloth and 1/8 inch wood over top would be good?

It's worked for me, but I don't have a lot of predators out here. My biggest concern in hawks.

they have a roof so they’d probably be safe from hawks and birds i’m just worried about anything digging under but don’t know if we will have enough time to do the hardware cloth

You don't have to use hw cloth. You don't have to dig or bury it.
My cousin used 2X4 animal wire right on top of the grass out two feet from the coop. Held it in place with land scraping staples and tied to the coop siding. Then covered it with the same deep litter used in the coop. Looks as good as it works. Old or new wire fence of any kind, broken brick, rock, gravel, oyster shell... Anything against the first two feet of the coop to make digging hard to do.

You don't have to use hw cloth. You don't have to dig or bury it.
My cousin used 2X4 animal wire right on top of the grass out two feet from the coop. Held it in place with land scraping staples and tied to the coop siding. Then covered it with the same deep litter used in the coop. Looks as good as it works. Old or new wire fence of any kind, broken brick, rock, gravel, oyster shell... Anything against the first two feet of the coop to make digging hard to do.

how about 1/8 inch thick wood on top of the grass except for in middle of coop?

When we talk about a hardware cloth apron we mean one that runs around the coop and run on the outside, not inside.

we don’t have a run in this coop, it’s their winter coop (they have a giant fenced in pond home for summertime) so we will be letting them be outside while supervived this winter (it’s prolly gonna be too cold anyways for them to stay out long)

One of the main things to consider when housing ducks or any animal is their safety. Not having a lot of time to make sure they are safe? First lay the hardware cloth down and attach it to the bottom of the coop then. Go to Home Depot i
Or Lowe’s pick up some wood pallets they stack them behind the store make a floor out of them. Then get sheet vinyl to cover it’s in expensive and will help insulate and protect the wood from rotting. This might take all of one day or less. But you’ll know your ducks are safe.

Back
Top Bottom