HELP !

FeatherFriend17

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
I am new to all this and I will try to give all the information I know and have gathered.
8 baby chicks were born yesterday around noon, the are miniature chickens and this chick was the smallest of the 8. It had been trampled by the mother and the other chicks but it seemed to be trying. We took him out and I started watching him. I put him on a small heated blanket because he was cold to the touch and I could not keep him warm with just my hand. He was doing alright i assumed from his loud chirps but then he suddenly went limp and I knew he was not going to make it, so I set him on a towel and to my surprise a couple minutes later he was back to chirping .

****He sleeps a lot and when he isn't sleeping he is chirping with his eyes closed. He wont eat or drink water. I tried to place some drops in his beak and it seems as though he can NOT swallow. He stops chirping and I seem bubbles in the back of his mouth, I have to pat him and rub him to help him swallow. I makes me very nervous. He also has something going on with his legs. They seem to function, but the chick can not walk on them **

extra info:
He is the only little chick that has this problem. There is no bleeding or signs of other trauma, broken bones, or apparent disease. The baby has not pooped due to it's reluctance to eat and there is no blockage. I have done nothing treatment wise, besides try to give him food and fluids. I don't know what to do to make it better, I think my biggest concern is that he is not able to swallow? He is can't swallow water i can't hope to feed him food or even powder baby bird food. I don't believe a picture would be helpful in this situation but if needed let me know and I will post one. The baby chick is currently in a small box, with cotton balls underneath for comfort as well as a small fuzzy sock to keep it warm (which he is loving by the way, he keeps cuddling inside of it).

Last edited:
:welcome It sounds as if he needs warming up. Small chicks can not maintain body temperature without supplemental heating.

Back
Top Bottom