Help

leisasong

Hatching
Sep 26, 2021
I have some turkey chicks that are about 6 weeks old and have lost a lot of feathers and we are getting ready to go into winter I don’t know what I am doing wrong. The are on chick food and I feed them mealworms twice a day for the extra protein. Can anyone tell me what I am
Doing wrong?

Probably doing nothing wrong. I do almost all chickens and it sounds a bit early but it sounds like a juvenile molt. Baby poultry outgrow their feathers and need to replace them, usually twice or so before they reach maturity. A grown turkey would look really silly if it still had the feathers it had when it was 6 weeks old.

Probably doing nothing wrong. I do almost all chickens and it sounds a bit early but it sounds like a juvenile molt. Baby poultry outgrow their feathers and need to replace them, usually twice or so before they reach maturity. A grown turkey would look really silly if it still had the feathers it had when it was 6 weeks old.
Thank you so much, have lost 2 groups of turkey chicks and just trying to do this one right. They are so fragile

What type of feed are they on? Turkey poults have different requirements than chicks. They have much higher protein requirements. They should likely be on a gamebird starter feed that is 28-30% protein.

Back
Top Bottom