Help

Leeannecamp

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2023
What is wrong with my chicken. He won’t open one eye and his comb is turning black. I have been adding duramycin to his water but it’s not helping. What can I do?

Attachments

• 4EA32FBF-B764-4CB7-B5B1-DF4D141D4CC6.jpeg
    4EA32FBF-B764-4CB7-B5B1-DF4D141D4CC6.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 66
Check his ears for infection. Could he have scraped his eye on something then it got infected? And is he experiencing any other symptoms? Such as abnormal poop, loss of appetite, weightloss, etc.?

Check his ears for infection. Could he have scraped his eye on something then it got infected? And is he experiencing any other symptoms? Such as abnormal poop, loss of appetite, weightloss, etc.?
His ears seem to be fine. He could have scraped his eye, we do have other roosters.
The only other symptom is green tint to his poop. I have him inside and have puppy pads down instead of shavings in hopes that nothing will irritate his eye even more.

How much duramycin?
Can his eye open?
How old is he? Diet?
1/4 tsp per 2 cups of water is what I was told. Does that sound right to you?

He can open his eye but it is very red. I am going to get saline tomorrow and rinse it.

He was born in Feb. They free range but are put up at night. They are given a choice of scratch feed or pellets.

1/4 tsp per 2 cups of water is what I was told. Does that sound right to you?

He can open his eye but it is very red. I am going to get saline tomorrow and rinse it.

He was born in Feb. They free range but are put up at night. They are given a choice of scratch feed or pellets.
It could be organ problems, scratch or layer feed isn't good for him, one is a treat the other has too much calcium.
Any other symptoms?
I'm not sure in the dose, direct dosing might be better.

What is wrong with my chicken. He won’t open one eye and his comb is turning black. I have been adding duramycin to his water but it’s not helping. What can I do?
Can you open the eye and take a good look at it?
It probably needs to be cleaned out. Flush it with saline really, press out any pus and/or remove any debris in the eye. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye or if you can't get that, use Original Neosporin in the eye.

Please post a photo of all of him, including his legs/feet and of his poop.

Look inside his beak for any yellow or white pasty lesions and check to make sure his crop is emptying.

If you haven't done so, move him to his own space with food/water. See that he's able to drink on his own, it's very important that he stays hydrated.

It probably needs to be cleaned out. Flush it with saline really, press out any pus and/or remove any debris in the eye. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye or if you can't get that, use Original Neosporin in the eye.

Look inside his beak for any yellow or white pasty lesions and check to make sure his crop is emptying.

If you haven't done so, move him to his own space with food/water. See that he's able to drink on his own, it's very important that he stays hydrated.

I will get saline tomorrow. He can open it, it’s just really red. And it doesn’t help he keeps trying to rub it.

I have already looked in his mouth, it looks normal. So does his crop.

He has been inside for the last 3 days and I give him scramble eggs, yogurt, & fruit everyday.

Attachments

• 482B992A-4542-4964-A568-59BA5BDCBA7F.jpeg
    482B992A-4542-4964-A568-59BA5BDCBA7F.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 7
  • F0D61F0E-BF7C-444B-84C5-C17795163433.jpeg
    F0D61F0E-BF7C-444B-84C5-C17795163433.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 70A63B5F-038C-4C47-9B1F-33F4F16308B6.jpeg
    70A63B5F-038C-4C47-9B1F-33F4F16308B6.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 8
It could be organ problems, scratch or layer feed isn't good for him, one is a treat the other has too much calcium.
Any other symptoms?
I'm not sure in the dose, direct dosing might be better.
It’s not layer feed. It’s flock raiser pellets.
Hopefully another rooster just scratched his eye. He’s not running temp, his comb is not hot like it was when I first brought him inside.

I will get saline tomorrow. He can open it, it’s just really red. And it doesn’t help he keeps trying to rub it.

I have already looked in his mouth, it looks normal. So does his crop.

He has been inside for the last 3 days and I give him scramble eggs, yogurt, & fruit everyday.
With him rubbing it, it's bothering him so hopefully you can get it flushed and the ointment will help soothe it.
He may have been pecked or poked in the eye or sometimes they get debris in the eye which causes irritation and even infection.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom