Help?

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
Okay, so #3 has looked like this for at least 2 hours, and still isn’t out. They’re still moving a bunch and trying to push. At what point do I intervene? Their siblings have knocked them about a bit, will that make a difference?
A212F786-D047-4A27-A549-D716CFA106BB.jpeg

Okay, so #3 has looked like this for at least 2 hours, and still isn’t out. They’re still moving a bunch and trying to push. At what point do I intervene? Their siblings have knocked them about a bit, will that make a difference?View attachment 3742746
When this happens with mine, it's because some will tire out before completing the task of hatching. I just help out alittle by popping the top where they were zipping to weaken the shell, & let them do the rest.

It can take 12 to 24 hours for a chick to hatch after pipping. They take many breaks as it's hard work. I would leave it alone for at LEAST 12 hours, and then perhaps help a little.

She made it! I gave her a little help before bed and loosened up the top - the shell of the egg was unusually hard and thick - and she pushed out sometime overnight.
IMG_0215.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom