Help!!

Welcome to BYC.
I think it's an injury. It is probably sensitive.
My old rooster had something that looked similar. He was trying to fight through the fence with a younger cockerel. I moved the younger out of his sight and fed my old boy wet feed for a while. I cleaned it carefully a few times a day. It took him a while to recover.
Good look with your boy.

I also think it looks like he somehow injured his beak/broke it off at the end. His beak looks very similar to one of my hens. Her upper beak end never grew back after an injury from an unknown cause, leaving her lower beak permanently longer than her upper. But it didn't affect her ability to eat or drink.

Do some observing also, see if he's trying to reach something on the other side of wire, or if feeders or waterers may be rubbing when he uses them. Keep us posted on how things go, see if it starts to look better, or gets worse. As long as he can eat and drink alright, he should be ok. He may have trouble picking things up off the ground, so raising dishes up, making them deeper and more open, or making a mash with the feed by mixing with some water, can help. Might be a good idea to get a weight on him and weigh regularly, to make sure he's maintaining.

Back
Top Bottom