help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new chicken mommy, May 15, 2009.

1. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    I have a broody sitting on eggs. Is it normal for the broody to peck at the chick trying to come out of the shell?? Thank you

2. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I hope you get a good answer to this!! I can't help, but I did have a chick that was pecking on and egg that was pipping. It worried me so I removed the chick to brooder. But in your case that would not help!

3. new chicken mommy

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    ya it scared me i dont know what she was doing i have never done this before....

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Just let her be. She might be trying to help. If she starts to injure the chick, she might be a bad mom. You might have to raise the chicks yourself.

5. new chicken mommy

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    it had only pipped as of this morning when i went to check and then about a half hour later i went out and it was chirping like crazy it looked like another hen got in there and mushed the egg. and the broody was pecking at the chick. I brought it in and put it under a warm light and it seems to be doing well.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    are you sure she was not just grooming the chick? I think if she was going to be malicious, the chick would have been dead before you got there,, It takes only 1 or 2 pecks to kill a chick..

7. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I've seen my hen helping chicks out of their shell too many times to count. And they groom them all the time. And yes, if she wanted to kill it, she would have before you got there. So don't worry [​IMG]

8. new chicken mommy

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    it was mostly out of the shell and she was pecking at its feet it was moving the whole chick she was doing it hard.

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you have to realize that chick weighs less than an ounce.. of course it is going to move a lot..

If the hen pecked it three times and it was not dead, she was not trying to kill it..

10. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    You better get that chick back out under her if you intend on it being raised by her and not you. Chicks "imprint" on the first thing they start to see clearly. If that's you, you become mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by