Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tia, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My Duck Angel seems to be getting worse. Had what appeared to be fungus around vent. Treated with combination of cortizone, neosporin, and Foot Fungal Creme. Swelling went down, fungus did not all go away, now it appears on oil gland. Does anyone have any suggestions. She is still eating, but is losing weight.

2. Agnella

Agnella Chirping

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Sorry I don't know the answer but wanted to bump your post.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Was just looking at the blue-kote can and it says it treats fungus infections do you have any?

4. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Well, I like diluted chlorahexadine as a wound wash. If it were here, that is what I would be using.....probably a good rinse 3 times a day. The rinsing speeds healing and the chlorahexadine takes care of fungal and bacterial. Not sure about the wound-kote, that stuff is kinda rough....

5. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I'm not familiar with those. Would you get those at a feed store.

6. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
  7. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I do have that. Hibiclens (Chlorohexidine Gluconate Dolution 4.%.) So I will dillute it and apply with a q-Tip Thanks!!! Or do I put it on then rinse it off?

8. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Perfect! [​IMG] I'd do like the bottle says for "skin wound and general skin cleansing". Take warm water and rinse the area off good,..then apply it, wait about 5 minutes, then lightly rinse with warm water. For rinsing, I like to use a little squeeze bottle or you can use a large syringe. The water running over the would for some reason really helps.

9. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    The vet called me a little bit ago and she had some antibiotics for me. I went over and got some septra, so I will get her started on that right away and then take her in on Tuesday when the vet that knows about ducks is there.

10. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Good job, let us know what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: