Help!

duckyduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
This is my first hatch. This egg fell from a tree where the nest was so i took it in and it finally got out of it's shell today. he seems to be stuck to the egg via the umbilical cord. Should i worry about this??? where should i put him? right now he's on a moist paper towel with heat from a lamp. Not direct heat. kind of a home made bator.

He's just laying on his side kicking a lot.

Here's a picture

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501801

91140_photo.jpg

well actually, the tree was cut down by some tree workers. and the eggs fell. I'm just trying to get it to make it. we may end up keeping it as a pet. Where do you think i should keep it? right now it is in a warm moist container. also, how long does it generally take for it to dry up and fall off?

I am no hatching expert, but warm & moist sounds like a good spot right now. I think I would let it rest awhile where it is and see how it goes. And go buy some baby ducky food...
fl.gif
Good luck!

How long should it take for the cord to start to dry up? or fall off?? it's been about 7 or 8 hours and it doesn't look much different. He keeps moving around and it seems like it's getting spun and tightened

If the duckling is in the incubator by itself and you have no other eggs in there-lower the humidity-that helps dry up the umbilicus.
All is well-everything looks fine at this point-it takes time...

Back
Top Bottom