HELP!!!!!!!!

poochell01

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Cave Junction Oregon
One of my hens and roos beat up my turkey. I dont know if she started it and they finished it or what but she has been a little aggressive the last couple days and was laying in nest boxes but shes only about 9 - 10 weeks old so i don't think shes old enough for eggs but Im a first timer so I dont know they have all been raised together and have always gotten along Im at a loss as to what happened! We have brought her in and cleaned her wounds hydrogin proxide put neosporin on it and wrapped it they bloodyed her up pretty good a good portion of her wing feathers are gone no major cuts. she is in a dog kennel in bathroom and gave pedialyte in water with vitamins and food she is drinking and walking around. I have read the first aid kit post on the home page. But should I be doing anything else and what should I watch for? I will be keeping her in til the turkey hutch is ready so they dont pick on her anymore. My tom is out there with the hens and roos nobody else is having a issue! help please!
hit.gif

OK im sorry I dont mean to bother but I just went in to check on her and found a tick on the floor she has been treated with a organic spray but know I am worried about that to maybe because she is still bleeding a bit when she trys to flap her wing? she pecked her bandage off I need to put a new one on. But the room she is in also has my brooder with my 4 week old chicks and ducks I am going to spray them as soon as hubby gets home to help. should I spay her again? UGH !!!! I am so sorry I don't mean to bother you I just feel lost

thank you :) My husband came home and check for bugs she is bug free and the only blood is coming from a feather that got broke off . she is a lot calmer for him she loves him. So he was able to check her over better. Way less serious than it looked like when she was freaking out. Thank you so much :) Panic attack is over now just a nervous nelly lol.

You might want to get some Blu-Kote to spray on her. Not only does it help with keeping away infection but it also will help with picking by other birds by masking any blood or red spots. Birds can see red but they cannot see blue. Not sure if that is why it works or not, but seriously, if it works who cares why? Lol.

I would also do some research about whether the ducks and chicks should be sprayed. I wouldn't use anything like that, but that is me and I don't know exactly what it is you're using. If you are worried about mites or lice, you could always add a small amount of DE to their shavings.

I had something like this happen to my birds and what it turned out to be was a feather coming in 'hard' and bleeding. The others were all over that poor bird and in a short time, about an hour before I discovered it, they had really made a mess out of that poor thing. I took her out and used the blu-Kote and was able to add her back into the pen with no more problems. something else you could add to your kit, bitter apple spray. It is sold for dogs and cats as a no chew spray. I tried it myself before I used it on my birds. Absolutely awful! It took me hours to get the taste out of my mouth! I won't do that again and usually using the Blu-Kote and then a quick spray of this, on the area as well, does the trick even with the most stubborn of birds.

Yeah I was going to grab blue kote tomorrow the feed store was closed when I got to town. I read the first aid kit thread last night and made my list figures something would happen before I got it put together. I will definitely get the bitter apple to my puppy needs it to lol he keeps eating my shoes :( the spray is manna pro poultry protector main ingredient is potassium sorbate,water,yeast, citrus acid.I got some in my mouth it tastes bad but I didn't die lol. That makes sense I know from what I read they are all to young for eggs but we took the babies out a couple days ago was worried maybe they kicked in some maternal thing or something I don't know that's probably pretty dumb but I'm going to blame on my newness lol. Thank you again for all your help. She raising hell in the bathroom so I think she's OK and her boy is looking for her I feel bad making her stay in but I think Its best til she's healed

Back
Top Bottom