HELP!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you're getting the DE. Good stuff if used correctly. Putting turkeys and chickens together is interesting, trust me. I have both and let them run together, but not sleep in the same house. In the yard they get along fine with minimum squabbling, in the same house? Not so much....besides the territorial thing going on with each kind of bird, there are different needs for each. Turkeys need higher protein feed for one. You can't keep the chickens away from the turkey feed and it will cause problems if the chickens are eating it all the time. The same for the trying to keep the turkeys away from the chicken's. Another thing is the brooding issue. Turkeys get big, turkey hen gets broody she isn't going to want anyone near her or her nest. A chicken or rooster is fair game and she will hurt them.

Another consideration raising them together is Blackhead, which both chickens and turkeys can get. In chickens it's not so bad, in turkeys...it can be devastating. Read all you can and learn the warning signs of the diseases and you'll be able to act right away if it should prove necessary. Another thing, you should get a digital scale as Casportpony suggested. If you have it and use it, there is no question of weight gain or loss during times of illness or stress. Just one of those things that should be included in your medical kit. I use mine for weighing hatching eggs as well. A visual certainty is always better than a guess no matter what I use it for. A journal is another, in it record your birds, weights, meds given, first eggs, etc.. If I come across something here on BYC that I didn't know or might need in the future I add that in as well.

One last thing [yes I am finally going to shut up, lol], do not ever feel your question is dumb! The only dumb question is the one not asked.

You never have to shut up lol. I will take all the advice and help I can get! The local feed store isn't all that helpful. We are getting a turkey hutch made just taking longer than expected and since they are still babies thought they shouldn't be alone ( I'm pathetic, everybody at my house makes fun of me and how I am with the birds) the feed store told me to put everyone on 21% all in one is that wrong? What would u suggest? Also I'm still doing vitamins and electrolytes in everyones water is there a time I should stop? And can u mix acv with the vitamins? See I told you I need advice lol. I read on here at least two hrs a day but sometimes I go into information overload! I can say that because of everyone on byc and all the help I've only lost two babies. I wish it was none though

PS any help with hutch ideas would be awesome. We have cougar,bears, foxes, coons, possums etc.. so I need to enclose for night I know that but other than that I'm still looking for ideas.

I'm not too sure with the rest of it but as for the coop,
if they live in an enclosed run, dig down 2-3ft around and line with mesh (prevent diggers)
rooves are always the best to keep out climbers, or overhangs at least.

I know foxes can get pretty clever with locks so it's usually best to have at least two locks that aren't easily opened.
Houses on legs help deter rodents but don't guarantee protection. Make sure any holes used for ventilation are covered with fairly fine mesh.

If you use a battery operated pop-hole door just make doubly sure you check that they're in at night, it's easy to get lazy once you don't have to close it manually.

Lol that about sums up my chicken coop minus the auto door. I was thinking about asking for one for Xmas. I put pad locks on the door and my egg box lid my neighbor laughed at me and asked if my chickens lay golden eggs :) I'm thinking about just doing same design for my turkeys.just wanting to make sure I get it right. Thank you :)

You never have to shut up lol. I will take all the advice and help I can get! The local feed store isn't all that helpful. We are getting a turkey hutch made just taking longer than expected and since they are still babies thought they shouldn't be alone ( I'm pathetic, everybody at my house makes fun of me and how I am with the birds) the feed store told me to put everyone on 21% all in one is that wrong? What would u suggest? Also I'm still doing vitamins and electrolytes in everyones water is there a time I should stop? And can u mix acv with the vitamins? See I told you I need advice lol. I read on here at least two hrs a day but sometimes I go into information overload! I can say that because of everyone on byc and all the help I've only lost two babies. I wish it was none though
Feed first, chicks should start out at right about 20% so you've done fine with them. In fact, right about now, they can be put on a feed of 18%. If you can't find one at your feed store, I have mixed a 16% with a 20%, about half and half, to get close to where I needed to be. You can also use Purina Flock Raiser which is 18%. The turkeys really should have been on a 24%- 28% starter feed. You're about where you need to be right now so that's good. I think you giving the vitamins to the turkeys is a good thing as you were given the wrong information about the feed in the beginning. Any of the bigger birds, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc., need a higher protein % to start with. It's funny...the store tells you one thing to make sales, the grain company tells you something different. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. I think you can probably stop giving it everyday and maybe just do it a couple 2-3 times a week. Yes you can mixed the ACV with the vitamins, but if you are using the ACV you could cut the vitamins back even more. Vinegar is loaded with the B vitamins needed for muscle, skin and nerve growth.

How I treat my babies...yeah, I get it too, lol. I have to sing to my birds while I am there with them. At night, the chickens have to have each of their names mentioned or they will not go to roost. Every night I have to sing first to my geese as they are being put up for the night, then it's the ducks turn. We have a rousing session of "6 Little Ducks" with audience participation. When I get to the 'quack' part I stop and ask what's next. Yes...Since I have been doing this for a year, they know the routine, lol. One of them will come out with the 'quack, quack, quack' in perfect time to the music. Yes, it's a real zoo at my house, lol. Sounds silly and it probably is, but I've been a fool for lesser things.

Lol that's great at least I'm not the only one! Thank you for all the great advice. I pack six gallons of water out to the coop every night and again every morning the hose and the house are on the well but the house water is filtered and I can make it room temp not to cold my kids think I'm nuts! We have a little zoo to hoping for piglets and goats soon. We have everything from reptiles to feathered friends lol.I do the brooder water twice a day also 2 gallons but its in the bathroom not so much work! Thank you again for everything I'm sure I'll be picking your brain again real soon. I got the de today I just sprinkle on their bedding? Oh and I have a chick who decided to bath in yogurt any suggestions on cleaning that mess lol

Lol that's great at least I'm not the only one! Thank you for all the great advice. I pack six gallons of water out to the coop every night and again every morning the hose and the house are on the well but the house water is filtered and I can make it room temp not to cold my kids think I'm nuts! We have a little zoo to hoping for piglets and goats soon. We have everything from reptiles to feathered friends lol.I do the brooder water twice a day also 2 gallons but its in the bathroom not so much work! Thank you again for everything I'm sure I'll be picking your brain again real soon. I got the de today I just sprinkle on their bedding? Oh and I have a chick who decided to bath in yogurt any suggestions on cleaning that mess lol
Bathed in yogurt, lol. I would rinse it off with either a spray bottle with warm water or gently rinse it with warm water. I already have the pigs. Not the goats...nope not me...ain't gonna do it! My father and mother had goats. 50 of them at one time.

Lol I only want the goats cuz my three year old is lactose intolerant and goats milk is pricey. So my white turkey is purple I'm purple my clothes are purple from the blue kote and when I took her out they all went after her again I had to smack them away and bring her back inside. I know the blue kite will help with the infection but she sure is sad :( I guess we get the turkey pen done tomorrow :( I gave her some meal worms and an letting her walk around my room for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom