HELP!

brandirjones

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
Gloster, Ms
I just came home to my Ethel with a HORRIBLE injury! I noticed this morning lots of feathers all around the run. She was not hurt then. I saw a clump of her feathers with flesh holding them together. I grabbed her up, took her inside, gave her a warm bath, plucked the feathers around the injury and i have it wrapped up with gauze. Shes in my bathroom in a pen. No bleeding. Looks like it is torn? Will she be ok? She acts fine maybe a little scared from being inside.

Good quick thinking. If there is no blood and you have it cleaned up I believe she will be just fine. Just keep an eye on her and let her rest a while. Give her some fresh water, food, and maybe a tasty treat to make her feel better about being in a new environment.

Next I would try to find out how she got the injury.

I did. I walked all over the pen and couldn't find any entry point. They dont free range. Confined to 28x28 run. Net roof wire walls.

I just dont know. I cant figure it out. And the other feathers strowed around the run from the other chickens are confusing me too! She's resting good, ate her treats and pooped good. I changed her bandage before I turned the lights off. Im thinking i'm going to do another warm bath tomorrow. She really enjoied that and the blowdryer! Who woulda thunk it! Thanks for your advice! I flipped out! My feathered friends are extremely spoiled and have become my children.

No organs exposed, like on her shoulder if you will. The muscle is exposed. Looks like its just ripped open. I have tried and tried to upload the picture but it won't upload.

If you do get a chance to post please do. I know sometimes the upload just doesn't work whether it's on my end or byc's. Are the other chickens missing patches of feathers like this one?

Hi

I'm just wondering if you have a rooster and he has been a bit rough. It's the only thing I can think of if they are in a safe enclosure.
As has been said, you need to keep the wound clean and ensure flies don't get to it, but if it's just through the skin to the muscle, she should be ok if you can keep the flies off it and obviously, if it is the rooster, you need to prevent him from doing more damage. I believe you can get/make protective saddles for chickens to prevent further damage.

Hope you are able to make her better soon.

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom