Help.

sonyae123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Meridian, Miss.
Please help. My chickens are sick. I have noticed that they are sleeping alot. I have one who is not opening her eyes and has saliva coming out of mouth and nostril running. My rooster is sleeping to much and one of my hens I have quarantined the one who are sick. The vet gave me some antibiotics but wasnt sure what could be wrong. I have just purchased some worm meds. Wasnt aware I had to worm them. Just was making a hobby for my kids and I . They love the chickens. I dnt want my kids nor any of my ither animals to get sick. What is wrong. What am I doing wrong.
Can I use bleach when turning over the ground. Raking it in then putting pine shavings down. Trying to rid the infestation. Please help.

Yes bleach is not useful in trying to disinfect the soil. Sick chickens should be removed and isolated as far away as possible. Your chick looks like it may have swelling around the eye--does it appear that way to you? It sounds like you may have a respiratory disease going around, such as MG, coryza, or one of the others. Since sick chickens don't usually drink enough of the medications put in the water, Tylan 50 injectable can be used directly in the mouth--1/4 ml for chicks, 1/2 for grown chicken under 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb--by mouth daily for 5 days. Oxytetracycline or erythromycin can be used in the water if they are drinking well. They may need to be kept warm while sick. How old are your chickens, and are they having any diarrhea or blood in their poops?

One of my chickens that is sick is small. The others are grown. How I can prevent this what caused the respitory problem. Someone else told me the same thing..

They get these diseases from a carrier--another chicken or other type of bird, even from wild birds. When buying birds from other people or from an unknown source, there can be carrier birds brought into the flock that don't look sick, but who can infect others through water, feeders, and droppings, as well as through the air. Tylan 50 injection and oxytetracycline can be bought at most feed stores, and are available online. With injectible Tylan, you will need a needle and syringe to withdraw it even though you may give it orally. Oxytetracycline may be sold under different brand names. Here are some links below:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=86808709483&gclid=COiNn9vy48ACFWELMgodth8Aug

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E078EF-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

Thank u so much. I need all the advice I can get. Going to turn over the ground cleaning coop really well. Gonna go tomorrow and get the meds u suggested. Is gonna be okay to worm them today and give the meds tomorrow or should I wait on worming...

Thank u so much. I need all the advice I can get. Going to turn over the ground cleaning coop really well. Gonna go tomorrow and get the meds u suggested. Is gonna be okay to worm them today and give the meds tomorrow or should I wait on worming...
You probably could get by with just cleaning up droppings, and putting some fresh bedding down. Most diseases such as MG and coryza only live about 3 days in the surroundings. Provide as much ventilation as possible, and prevent dusty or wet conditions.

Thank u so much . Im so mad that someone sold me some sick birds. I live in Mississippi and there really isnt a reliable source that I know of.I was buying them from anywhere. I mean I dnt want to eat um mayb the eggs but basicly just doing it for the kids to get in tye yard out the tv.lol. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom