Helped chick- need guidance

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I assisted a chick not long ago because her legs were over her head, and she was too large to maneuver to finish her zip.
Now she's kicking around but her feet are curved like they were in the egg, and the hardened gunk on her back are stopping her from getting up.
I'll leave her in the incubator until tommorow but I don't know what to do

20211022_184752_HDR.jpg
20211022_184728_HDR.jpg

I assisted a chick not long ago because her legs were over her head, and she was too large to maneuver to finish her zip.
Now she's kicking around but her feet are curved like they were in the egg, and the hardened gunk on her back are stopping her from getting up.
I'll leave her in the incubator until tommorow but I don't know what to do
I’m sorry that happened to you.:hugs

Do you have others still hatching?
If so, it would be risky to open the bator and take her out.

Once you can safely open the bator without it affecting your hatch, take her out. If she's caked up, you can first try brushing her with a soft brush to see if that will loosen the gunk, but you may need to gently bath her. You will have to determine if the dry brushing helps.
IF you do bath her, make sure to dry her very well. Use a hair dryer on low heat and keep moving it so you don't burn the skin, but she needs dry and warm before she goes into the brooder.

Give her 2-3 drops PND twice a day. Hopefully she will perk up and you will be better able to access whether there's any other issues with the legs.
Sometimes when assisted, a chick doesn't make it. Keep us posted.

Walking around sounds good!
If she's a bit crusty when you take her out, do try brushing her. An old soft toothbrush, a baby brush or a soft nail/manicure brush will work. It helps to fluff them up a little.

This morning I checked on her and she seems more lively, stumbling around a bit. Her feet are kinda bent in the position where they were in the egg. Should I try a cardboard shoe?
Also, Maybe I could feed her some egg yolk to strengthen her up a bit (or anything else you would suggest?)

Back
Top Bottom