well, better luck next time..
Yep, later that day got a good one in a nest.
She had been working on the one found on the board all the day before...
... pacing, squawking and singing, in and out of nests, cockbird watching over her....think it came out very early the next morning. Then about noon all the nests were filled with hens and she was pacing the nest perch again, got into a nest with a hen who ran screaming, then pullet left her egg in another nest. She's learning the ropes!
upload_2018-8-14_7-13-40.png

good morning,
hazy sunrise today. the smoke from the Canadian fires must have reached the east side of wisc. really makes for pretty sunrise and sunsets..
today, despite the heat, I am going to finish taking care of the 3 established grape transplants. have to fertilize , lay down landscape cloth and mulch..
nothing too strenuous, if I take my time I should get them all done.
saving coffee grounds for top dressing.
art, did you make it out to the coop with your net early enough to catch the falling egg ?? LOL
.....jiminwisc....

good morning,
the weather girl said that the Canadian smoke was being carried by the jet stream.
last night it got so thick here, it made me cough a bit. it smells like stale cigarette smoke..
I checked the grapes that I have air layered.. a couple of them have lost their leaves above the splice. they were sort of iffy when I tied them to the stakes..
IDK, maybe they will form roots anyhow.
I do not check them every day. actually this is the first time since I tied them up.
the ones that didn't dry up are growing new leaves and vines..:thumbsup

the sun is finally shining a little.
nice day here today. 73F. was supposed to get into the 80's but the haze is keeping it cool.
I have 3 grapes that I planted last summer.
so I took advantage of the cool temps and went out and gave them a drink of fish fertilizer and spread compost around them.
I found a place just a little way from us to buy fresh brown eggs. $2.oo/doz. I gladly pay that much to not have to mess with chickens ..
I think I will go mow some lawn later on.
my straw hat is beginning to fray around the edges..
I wonder if I can buy a straw hat like the Amish wear. they seem to hold up well..
......jiminwisc......

So today i did a lot around here, got plants in the ground, planted grass and clover, plus spread manure. In between rain showers!
Also built the frame for the third wall to the chicken coop, and painted it. Temporarily covered it with roofing tin, then it rained some more.

good morning,
up at 6:3o . let the dog out,
started a pot o' joe.
I don't like how the dish washer doesn't always get all the residue off of the dishes,
Yesterday I set up the drainer and hand washed all of the bowls from the cupboard.
this morning I did all the forks, and saucers.
and the small bowls ..
Not bad for a half hour's work.
I have the knives, spoons and salad forks soaking while I am down here drinking my coffee..
about a month ago I told Annie that I would do dishes by hand if she got me a dish pan and a drainer. well, she did.. and I am.
there are some plates with turkeys painted on them, those are going .. we have a complete set of 24 settings of plain white dishes. no need for any extra crap..
after all the white stuff is rewashed, I am going at the cups and glasses. too many mismatched items there, also..
we have enough pans and kettles to outfit three restaurants.. some sorting will go on in that dept , too..
I am thinking about clearing a spot in the sun porch for over wintering my root stock.
I don't think they will be ready for direct planting this fall.
.....jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom